Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Baseball Returns to Montreal, should the team be in the AL or the NL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Baseball Returns to Montreal, should the team be in the AL or the NL?

With the excellent attendance that was shown during the Toronto Blue Jays-New York Mets exhibition game at Olympic Stadium in Montreal, plus rumors (rumours for our Canadian friends) of the Tampa Bay Rays moving if they do not get a new park (and also the Oakland Athetics wanting to move, but they're likely to move to either San Jose[which is being blocked by the SF Giants], Portland, or maybe San Antonio]), I was wondering if baseball were to return to Montreal, should the team be in the American League (where the Rays are) or the National League (where the Expos started before the team moved to Washington and became the Nationals)?
    1. AL if Rays move to Montreal
    41.67%
    2. NL if Rays move to Montreal, move another team to AL (ex. Mil. Brewers, a former AL team)
    50.00%
    3. AL Expansion team
    0.00%
    4. NL Expansion team
    8.33%

The poll is expired.

MISSISSIPPI BRAVES 10TH SEASON IN THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE 2005-2014

Montreal should get the 16th NL spot when MLB expands to 32 teams.

Comment

I would like for the Expos to be in the National League as they used to be.

Comment

This is a bad poll because respondents can only pick an option under one scenario, and you're presenting two - the possibility of the Rays moving to Montreal, and the possibility of Montreal being awarded an expansion team.

My vote, if I could cast it as such, would be for a new Montreal club to be in the National League, regardless of its genesis.
        X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

The D-Rays, habit here, should move to Montreal. same division same league. Imho, should the expos join the AL, should the Astros move back to the NL?

Comment

Originally posted by Pere View Post
            Montreal should get the 16th NL spot when MLB expands to 32 teams.
            You know something the rest of the world doesn't?
            The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Sentimentally, I would prefer to see Montreal remain a National League city. Watching games against the Mets, Phils, Braves and Fish just feels right.

Realistically, to get a team to thrive here, financially, an AL East birth would make much more sense. Rivalry games with Toronto and the influx of Yankee and Red Sox fans would generate a cash infusion for the team (and local economy, hotels/restaurants filled with visiting fans) that just wouldn't happen if the team was in the NL.
              Please read the Baseball Fever Site Policy and FAQ before posting.
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Ontarioguy View Post
                Sentimentally, I would prefer to see Montreal remain a National League city. Watching games against the Mets, Phils, Braves and Fish just feels right.

Realistically, to get a team to thrive here, financially, an AL East birth would make much more sense. Rivalry games with Toronto and the influx of Yankee and Red Sox fans would generate a cash infusion for the team (and local economy, hotels/restaurants filled with visiting fans) that just wouldn't happen if the team was in the NL.
                If Montreal gets the Tampa Bay franchise, they should be in the AL East although Montreal was in the NL East. The province of Quebec borders the state of New York (influx of Yankees fans) and the New England States of Vermont (where the Expos/Nationals had their Class A minor league team from 1994-2010 before the team became affiliated with the Oakland Athletics, another team wanting a new ballpark), New Hampshire, and Maine have fans that support the Red Sox and supported the Expos.

As for the team name, for some, the Expos would be the logical choice, bringing back memories of Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, and Bill "Spaceman" Lee, among others, but also bringing back bad memories of the Jeffrey Loria debacle where he pretty much flushed the Expos down the toilet and turned the team over to MLB, hastening their exit from Montreal to Washington in 2005. The current Nats have the rights to the Expos' records and numbers.

In my opinion, the Expos' name should be used only if it is a NL expansion franchise or if a NL team moves, which is unlikely. If it is a AL expansion team or a relocated AL team (Rays or Athletics, most likely the Rays), then I suggest a new nickname.
                MISSISSIPPI BRAVES 10TH SEASON IN THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE 2005-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaBoy View Post
                  If it is a AL expansion team or a relocated AL team (Rays or Athletics, most likely the Rays), then I suggest a new nickname.
                  Knowing MLB's obsession with Jackie Robinson, Royals would be the ideal name (since Jackie played for the Montreal Royals before coming to Brooklyn) but that's already been taken.
                  X
                  What's THAT guy doing?
                  - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I vote for NL (don't care if it's expansion or relocation). After the Expos left I tried to become a Jays fan and while I still do like them, I realize that I still prefer the NL to the AL. If the Expos came back I'd hope for NL, although all logic says that it should be AL (potential for Rays relocation, Jay rivalry, Red Sox rivalry etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Ontarioguy View Post
                      How can you be so sure? Are you suggesting that the National League can't be viable in Canada? I think I should remind you that Montreal has historically been a National League city, including the old Triple-A Royals' being affiliated with Dodgers from the late 1930s to about 1960 (before they left for Syracuse in the wake of the Dodgers' move to L.A.) and before that the Pirates for two years. And it was in Montreal that many of the Dodgers' legends during their golden age (1947-1966) stopped at, including Jackie Robinson. At no point in their history were the Montreal Royals affiliated with an AL team.

If the Rays do depart for Montreal, then they should also move to the NL (and maybe move Milwaukee back to the AL and Houston back to the NL). That way, the baseball fans in northern New England would get a taste of the Senior Circuit that they had from '69 to '04.

Comment

Eastern Conference.
                        The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X