Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could they still be at 155th and Eighth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Polo Grounds

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Whoops, Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I think eventually the polo grounds would have been razed no matter what. The area, lack of parking, stadium age and design (I think) all would have contributed to it's ultimate demise. I'm also not sure who actually owned the park and the land on which it stood but seem to recall that the Giants would have had to leave in any case at the end of there lease which I believe would have taken them into the early Sixties. Any similar recollections out there?
    One thing that pisses me off is when people say the giants left the polo grounds because of its age.the giants played at 155th and 8th ave since 1891 that does not mean that the polo grounds was that old.the wooden polo grounds burned down and they built the modern polo grounds that stood until 1964.it was only 53 years old when it was torn down in 1964. there was nothing wrong with the stadium itself either.granted there was a parking problem but baseball could still be played at the polo grounds today.with renovations to the stadium and surrounding area. look at the mets in 1962 and 1963 they drew over 2 million fans for those two years.and since the yankees still play across the river at yankee stadium baseball still could be played at the polo grounds today. as far as parking you really dont need to drive around new york to get to the game with the subway. so yes the giants still could be at the polo grounds today. they should never had built that dump called shea stadium.

Leave a comment:

• rcl986@aol.com
    replied
    Whoops, Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I think eventually the polo grounds would have been razed no matter what. The area, lack of parking, stadium age and design (I think) all would have contributed to it's ultimate demise. I'm also not sure who actually owned the park and the land on which it stood but seem to recall that the Giants would have had to leave in any case at the end of there lease which I believe would have taken them into the early Sixties. Any similar recollections out there?

Leave a comment:

• rcl986@aol.com
    replied
    Stoneham could have sold the team to Bill Terry who wanted to buy them and relocate them to Yankee Stadium. I'm sure that eventually Shea would have been built to accomodate them.

Leave a comment:

• EbtsFldGuy
    started a topic Could they still be at 155th and Eighth?

Could they still be at 155th and Eighth?

Here's a question for you Giants fans that we have teased on the Brooklyn Dodgers board in different forms:

With the benefit of 48 years' hindsight, do you believe that anyone (NYC, Stoneham, others/all?) could have done anything do retain the Giants at the Polo Grounds and keep them there to this day?

What say ye?

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X