• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    New York Giants

Originally posted by Greenpeach View Post
    I got news for you my friend, there were many obstructed view seats in the upper deck reserved section. And the biggest crime was that the Tigers management never saw fit to mark these tickets obstructed view. So you never knew if you were going to have a post blocking your view of the field until you actually showed up at the park. Thanks a lot Mr. Fetzer !!

It would have cost more to renovate Tiger Stadium under the Cochrane plan then it did to build Comerica Park and you still would've had a lack of quality parking spots.

PS: You were the poster who brought up "historic" Yankee Stadium in this thread. When did you become the board moderator ???

PSS: Shouldn't your board name be TigerStadium1999 ? What's with the PoloGrounds1957 handle ??
    PLEASE TAKE THIS TOPIC OVER TO THE DETROIT TIGERS OR STADIUM FORUMS. this is the new york giants forum.lets get back on topic

Leave a comment:

• Greenpeach
    replied
    Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
    The hot dogs at tiger stadium were rated as one of the best in the majors.and the seats were great even if you had a post there. you needed the posts to have the great upper deck view. the COCHRANE plan would have taken out alot of the posts in the stadium. comerica park will NEVER compare to Tiger Stadium. and also this is the new york giants forum please stay on topic
    I got news for you my friend, there were many obstructed view seats in the upper deck reserved section. And the biggest crime was that the Tigers management never saw fit to mark these tickets obstructed view. So you never knew if you were going to have a post blocking your view of the field until you actually showed up at the park. Thanks a lot Mr. Fetzer !!

It would have cost more to renovate Tiger Stadium under the Cochrane plan then it did to build Comerica Park and you still would've had a lack of quality parking spots.

PS: You were the poster who brought up "historic" Yankee Stadium in this thread. When did you become the board moderator ???

PSS: Shouldn't your board name be TigerStadium1999 ? What's with the PoloGrounds1957 handle ??

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Tiger Stadium

I used to sit in the General Motors box seats by the Tiger dugout. They were great seats. However, when Tiger Stadium was being used a full 30% of the seats were considered obstructed view. That was the highest % in major league baseball including Fenway, old Comiskey & Wrigley. In order to ensure that you didn't have a post blocking your view you had to purchase a box seat or sit out in the bleachers.

Tiger Stadium had the worst selection of food I've ever had at a professional stadium. The pizza was terrible & the hot dog buns were always stale.
    The hot dogs at tiger stadium were rated as one of the best in the majors.and the seats were great even if you had a post there. you needed the posts to have the great upper deck view. the COCHRANE plan would have taken out alot of the posts in the stadium. comerica park will NEVER compare to Tiger Stadium. and also this is the new york giants forum please stay on topic

Leave a comment:

• Greenpeach
    replied
    THE SEATS AND VIEW WERE GREAT AT TIGER STADIUM and so was the HOT DOGS.:twocents:
    I used to sit in the General Motors box seats by the Tiger dugout. They were great seats. However, when Tiger Stadium was being used a full 30% of the seats were considered obstructed view. That was the highest % in major league baseball including Fenway, old Comiskey & Wrigley. In order to ensure that you didn't have a post blocking your view you had to purchase a box seat or sit out in the bleachers.

Tiger Stadium had the worst selection of food I've ever had at a professional stadium. The pizza was terrible & the hot dog buns were always stale.

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Donald, we are almost the same age. I spent half my youth at old Yankee Stadium. I think I know what I'm talking about. I only mentioned Yankee Stadium because you did in a previous thread.

PS: In addition, I spent many years in Detroit & visited Tiger Stadium dozens of times. It was a grand old stadium, but had way too many obstructed view seats & the food was pretty lousy too.
    THE SEATS AND VIEW WERE GREAT AT TIGER STADIUM and so was the HOT DOGS.:twocents:

Leave a comment:

• Greenpeach
    replied
    The stadium was renovated in 1974-75 and i dont care if you dissagree with it because its a fact i am 46 and was around then so i am not a kid as you said in a other post.You can have you CRAPPY new stadium after next season.When they move out and tear down the stadium i hope they never win again.
    AND GREENPEACH stay on topic. this is the new york giants forum not the new york yankees forum, remmber that.
    Donald, we are almost the same age. I spent half my youth at old Yankee Stadium. I think I know what I'm talking about. I only mentioned Yankee Stadium because you did in a previous thread.

PS: In addition, I spent many years in Detroit & visited Tiger Stadium dozens of times. It was a grand old stadium, but had way too many obstructed view seats & the food was pretty lousy too.

Leave a comment:

• penncentralpete
    replied
    in 1962, i PLAYED in the "original" yankee stadium. i changed in the yankee clubhouse and used the showers, sat in the dugout, came to bat, played the outfield, etc. i was a member of a semi-pro team (newark cardinals) and the yanks were on the road at the time. IMHO yankee stadium was NOT the same at all after 1975. now, staying on the subject.......................i also believe with all my heart and soul, that the majestic polo grounds was NOT crumbling nor falling down in 1963. although i never played in the PG, i did attend many games there as a fan both in the 50's and again in '62 and '63. the ONLY thing "wrong" with the PG in the '60's was the surrounding neighborhood was a bit "shakey". whether that could have been addressed and improved, the polo grounds would be the home of the new york mets to this very day! a grand old structure it was! long live the POLO GROUNDS!!!! respectfully, pete trunk, NJ

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Donald, I don't care what the PR spin out of the Bronx was in 1973. Yankee Stadium was demolished in 1973 & a classic 1970's cookie cutter stadium was built on the same spot. Renovation ? No. Demolition ? Yes.

My point was, that all of this crying going on about the Yankees tearing down of "historic Yankee Stadium" after next year is a joke. It died over 30 years ago.
    The stadium was renovated in 1974-75 and i dont care if you dissagree with it because its a fact i am 46 and was around then so i am not a kid as you said in a other post.You can have you CRAPPY new stadium after next season.When they move out and tear down the stadium i hope they never win again.
    AND GREENPEACH stay on topic. this is the new york giants forum not the new york yankees forum, remmber that.
    Last edited by POLO GROUNDS 1957; 07-25-2007, 10:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• Greenpeach
    replied
    Yankee stadium was renovated back in 1974-75. that was something that did not happen to the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field.i am sure today alot of giants and brooklyn fans would rather have those stadiums around instead of those apartments.
    Donald, I don't care what the PR spin out of the Bronx was in 1973. Yankee Stadium was demolished in 1973 & a classic 1970's cookie cutter stadium was built on the same spot. Renovation ? No. Demolition ? Yes.

My point was, that all of this crying going on about the Yankees tearing down of "historic Yankee Stadium" after next year is a joke. It died over 30 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Yankee Stadium

Donald, Yankee Stadium was torn down after the 1973 football season. It's no longer "The house that Ruth built." It's "The house that Mayor Lindsay rebuilt." I have to laugh when I hear younger fans getting upset about the Yankees tearing down "historic" Yankee Stadium. Hell, the city of New York did that over 30 years ago.
    Yankee stadium was renovated back in 1974-75. that was something that did not happen to the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field.i am sure today alot of giants and brooklyn fans would rather have those stadiums around instead of those apartments.

Leave a comment:

• Greenpeach
    replied
    You are right but you would think that the city of new york would have learned something after ebbets field and the polo grounds was torn down,now they are going to tear down yankee stadium?
    Donald, Yankee Stadium was torn down after the 1973 football season. It's no longer "The house that Ruth built." It's "The house that Mayor Lindsay rebuilt." I have to laugh when I hear younger fans getting upset about the Yankees tearing down "historic" Yankee Stadium. Hell, the city of New York did that over 30 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Originally posted by EbtsFldGuy View Post
    I agree.

But the sad fact is that NYC seems to have had only token interest in keeping the Giants, and made little move to prevent their move.

The PG, like Wrigley and Fenway, should still be here today.

And so should Ebbets Field.
    You are right but you would think that the city of new york would have learned something after ebbets field and the polo grounds was torn down,now they are going to tear down yankee stadium?

Leave a comment:

• EbtsFldGuy
    replied
    Yes the area around the Polo Grounds was bad back then but if the Giants or even the Mets had decided that they wanted to stay there the polo grounds could have been renovated and the area improved. look if the yankees can still play across the river from the polo grounds than baseball today could still be played at the Polo Grounds.
    I agree.

But the sad fact is that NYC seems to have had only token interest in keeping the Giants, and made little move to prevent their move.

The PG, like Wrigley and Fenway, should still be here today.

And so should Ebbets Field.

Leave a comment:

• MattM
    replied
    The Polo Grounds was home of the New York Titans(JETS)from 1960-1963. the AFL team called the polo grounds home.So the Jets did call the PG there home.
    No I know that. I just meant that it's too bad that before the Jets actually joined the NFL, they could have had the Polo Grounds, and not be playing in New Jersey now.

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    Polo Grounds

Originally posted by MattM View Post
    The Polo Grounds could have been the home of the Jets, had the wrecking ball not come so soon, especially since the Giants had moved to Yankee Stadium in 55. If you look at the seating, and shape of the stadium, that place would have been ideal for football.
    The Polo Grounds was home of the New York Titans(JETS)from 1960-1963. the AFL team called the polo grounds home.So the Jets did call the PG there home.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X