Bobby Thomson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Thomson

Happy Birthday to Bobby Thomson who turns 84 today.
    Last edited by GIANT; 10-26-2007, 10:18 AM.

Many More, #23

"... they are picking Bobby Thomson up, and carrying him off the field." Sweetest words I've ever heard, other than, "Oh Zig, Oh Zig..."
    Last edited by Ralph Zig Tyko; 10-26-2007, 05:17 PM.
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

After you hear "Oh Zig, Oh Zig" are you sure you don't say "I don't believe it... I do not believe it."
      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

"They are picking up Zig and carrying him off the field."
        ---
        Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
          "... they are picking Bobby Thomson up, and carrying him off the field."
          I can only imagine how loud the stadium was...
          Attached Files
          Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

I have the mp3 of Russ Hodges famous call... shoot me an email at

bryan.usa1950@gmail.com if you would like it.

Bryan
            "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

"... they are picking Bobby Thomson up, and carrying him off the field." Sweetest words I've ever heard, other than, "Oh Zig, Oh Zig..."
              Sorry, but the fact they were cheating by stealing signs puts a damper on their victory for me. In that context, one of the most overrated HRs in baseball history.
              :cap:

Comment

I guess they were also cheating the day before when they lost 10-0.

Thomson has always maintained he did NOT get the sign and I for one believe him. In that context the Most Dramatic Home Run and Moment in baseball history !!!!
                RCL

Comment

Originally posted by rcl986@aol.com View Post

Thomson has always maintained he did NOT get the sign and I for one believe him. In that context the Most Dramatic Home Run and Moment in baseball history !!!!
                  I agree. Unless anyone of us were there, and have hardcore proof... I for one am a believer that he DID NOT cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by rcl986@aol.com View Post
                    Well, they couldn't win EVERY game - people would be suspicious.

I think the fact they did steal signs during that time has to take some of the edge off of the win, no?

Comment

no, sir. The Giants weren't able to steal signs on the road, and still they won the games they had to. The Giants weren't able to control Brooklyn winning or losing their own games, and the Dodgers played one game under .500 over the last two weeks of the season. The dodgers needed one more win--ONE--to clinch the pennant outright and they couldn't get it. They blew three games they had leads in the last week of the season. None of these games were impacted by the Giants stealing signs.

IF Thomson had the sign--and I personally do not believe he did--he still had to guess speed & location and time it right. Guys know Mariano Rivera is going to throw a cut fastball when he's ahead 0-2, and they still can't hit it. Ditto Nolan Ryan. Now Ralph Branca will never be confused with either Rivera or Ryan but the concept is still the same: you may know what's coming but you still have to catch up to it.

Thomson owned Branca. The 'taint' is on Dreesen and Dreesen only for not bringing in Labine--who owned Thomson--or Erskine, who had his curveball working great that day. The myth that Erskine's curve was 'bouncing in the dirt' was exactly what the Dodgers catchers WANTED from him. It fooled hitters, but on this day it fooled Dressen (and Sukeforth) and caused the Dodgers their infamy.

Comment

Let me further illustrate: If you recall the 1998 World Series, Yanks vs. San Diego, you'll remember the Scott Brosius Grand Slam off Trevor Hoffman.

Hoffman: great fastball, one of the best closers of all time (even though he is a choke artist). Brosius: average hitter, pretty good fastball hitter.

On the pitch before Brosius' slam, Hoffman grooved a fastball right down the middle of the plate. I remember thinking 'if he throws that pitch again, Brosius is gonna kill it'.

The next pitch was in the exact same spot and Brosius killed it. Ditto Branca & Thomson. Branca knew he grooved the first pitch & got away with one. Why in the name of the Lords of Flatbush did he ever throw the same pitch a second time?

Comment

Originally posted by callingit View Post
                          no, sir. The Giants weren't able to steal signs on the road, and still they won the games they had to. The Giants weren't able to control Brooklyn winning or losing their own games, and the Dodgers played one game under .500 over the last two weeks of the season. The dodgers needed one more win--ONE--to clinch the pennant outright and they couldn't get it. They blew three games they had leads in the last week of the season. None of these games were impacted by the Giants stealing signs.

IF Thomson had the sign--and I personally do not believe he did--he still had to guess speed & location and time it right. Guys know Mariano Rivera is going to throw a cut fastball when he's ahead 0-2, and they still can't hit it. Ditto Nolan Ryan. Now Ralph Branca will never be confused with either Rivera or Ryan but the concept is still the same: you may know what's coming but you still have to catch up to it.

Thomson owned Branca. The 'taint' is on Dreesen and Dreesen only for not bringing in Labine--who owned Thomson--or Erskine, who had his curveball working great that day. The myth that Erskine's curve was 'bouncing in the dirt' was exactly what the Dodgers catchers WANTED from him. It fooled hitters, but on this day it fooled Dressen (and Sukeforth) and caused the Dodgers their infamy.
                          You make some good arguments. While stealing signs is cheating, there is a lot worse things they could be doing, such as throwing games, etc.

Comment

"The next pitch was in the exact same spot and Brosius killed it. Ditto Branca & Thomson. Branca knew he grooved the first pitch & got away with one. Why in the name of the Lords of Flatbush did he ever throw the same pitch a second time?"

Branca threw the pitch and became baseball's ALL-TIME GOAT, A LOOSER.
                            Every 30 seconds, for the past 56 years, #13 and Brooklyn Dodgers fans whine and kvetch. Woe is them.
                            Thompson hit the ball and became baseball's ALL-TIME HERO, A WINNER.
                            Every 30 seconds, for the past 56 years, #23 and New York Giants fans just smile. Like this:
                            Last edited by Ralph Zig Tyko; 12-29-2007, 06:12 PM.
                            ---
                            Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Branca threw the pitch and became baseball's ALL-TIME GOAT, A LOOSER.
                              Every 30 seconds, for the past 56 years, #13 and Brooklyn Dodgers fans whine and kvetch. Woe is them.
                              Thompson hit the ball and became baseball's ALL-TIME HERO, A WINNER.
                              Every 30 seconds, for the past 56 years, #23 and New York Giants fans just smile. Like this:
                              The entire NY Mets team last year choked. DO I whine about it? Nope. Not one bit. Am I bitter? Nope. It's time for "Dem Bum" fans to let it go. It's getting a tad bit old.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X