Trivia Question About NY Giants All-Star Outfieler, Don Mueller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia Question About NY Giants All-Star Outfieler, Don Mueller

.296 Lifetime Batter, Don Mueller (1954 & 1955 National League All-Star Outfielder, who led the N.L in Hits in1954, with 212 H) also played for the San Francisco Giants.
    TRUE OR FALSE.

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    .296 Lifetime Batter, Don Mueller (1954 & 1955 National League All-Star Outfielder, who led the N.L in Hits in1954, with 212 H) also played for the San Francisco Giants.
    TRUE OR FALSE.
    False. "Mandrake the Magician," as he was called, was sold to the White Sox in spring training of 1958. He played for them in all of 1958 and part of 1959, retiring before the team got to the World Series. I think he and Nellie Fox combined struck out less in one year between them than a power hitter now would strike out in a month.

Comment

Originally posted by chinese home run View Post

False. "Mandrake the Magician," as he was called, was sold to the White Sox in spring training of 1958. He played for them in all of 1958 and part of 1959, retiring before the team got to the World Series. I think he and Nellie Fox combined struck out less in one year between them than a power hitter now would strike out in a month.
      You are absolutely right. Don Mueller wore a San Franciso Giants uniform during spring training 1958, but he never quite made it to 'Frisco'. A great contact hitter, he led the NL in Hits in 1954 and he barely lost out in the batting title race against teammate Willie Mays in Mays' only year in a 22-year-career where he won a batting title. Mays had a fantastic year in his first season back after military service in the Korean War Era, where he also topped 40 home runs for the first time. Mays lost about 3/4 of 1952 and all of 1953 to military service..
      Don Mueller was one of the most respected contact hitters/singles hitters/ leadofff hitter types of his era. maybe second in the National Leagjue only to the Phillies' Richie Ashburn. He batted .296 in a very fine 12-year big leagues career (1948-1959). I'd now like to check with a photo sharing MLB website to see if any one cares to post a photo of Mueller from Spring Training, 1958 in a San Franscisco uniform..
      Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

DON Mueller's 1958 Topps baseball card portrays him WITH A SAN FRANCISCO CAP, but i think it's a fake and Topps might have issued a bunch of similar caps on Giants' players in their early series, before the season started, because they really didn't know what the SF Giants uniforms and caps were going to look like once the regular season started.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X