Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monte Irvin Congrats And Question

First off, Happy Birthday to Monte Irvin who turns 89 on Monday,
    February 25TH! Now my question, my dad passed 5 years ago and he loved Irvin and saw him play at the PG's often. My dad always referred to Irvin as "The Orange Cutie". My assumption being that the orange was the team color and maybe he smiled often. Anyway, I know of nobody else who would refer to Irvin by this nickname. I tried to call into WFAN this past Sunday but couldn't get in contact with Irvin. Was that my dad's nickname for Irvin or could that have been his "official" nickname?
    In advance, THANKS!-GMONEY
    Last edited by GMONEY; 02-21-2008, 03:38 PM.

Originally posted by GMONEY View Post
    First off, Happy Birthday to Monte Irvin who turns 89 on Monday,
    February 25TH! Now my question, my dad passed 5 years ago and he loved Irvin and saw him play at the PG's often. My dad always referred to Irvin as "The Orange Cutie". My assumption being that the orange was the team color and maybe he smiled often. Anyway, I know of nobody else who would refer to Irvin by this nickname. I tried to call into WFAN this past Sunday but couldn't get in contact with Irvin. Was that my dad's nickname for Irvin or could that have been his "official" nickname?
    In advance, THANKS!-GMONEY
    As a young lad, Monte's family moved to Orange, NJ. Irvin played for the local team the "Orange Triangles" who played their games in Orange Park. This is the genesis of "The Orange Cutie", as Monte was only 13 (!) when he began playing in this semi-pro league.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Monte Irvin

The Orange Cutie
      Attached Files
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

Pete, Thanks Sooooooooooo Much!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Monte Irvin

You are both very welcome.
          Attached Files

Comment

another in a too long list of players who would have had a much longer and better career had he not been deprived of a chance in the majors during his prime years.

also the answer to the trivia question who made the last out of the '51 season.
            After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X