Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the reaction in 62 when the Giants returned for the first time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the reaction in 62 when the Giants returned for the first time?

Who did everyone root for? Mets or Giants?

I'm sure Willie Mays was greeted as a hero.

Comment

He sure was- I think all 43,000 plus people were there to see him- although it looked weird seeing him walk down the visitors' clubhouse steps.

"Frank- You're not a Lutheran?"

Comment

What was the reaction in'62 when the Giants returned for the first time

I was in attendance, at the PG, along with my Dad and my Brother, on Friday evening, June 1, 1962, when the Giants came back to NYC for the first time since they moved to SF. I bought the tickets on March 17, 1962, at the Mets Ticket Booth located "at the foot of the Vanderbilt Avenue Ramp" in Grand Central Station.

Box seats. $3.50 each. On the third base side.

There were a lot of Giants' fans present. Willie Mays sliced a HR into the right field stands. A man sitting next to us, wearing a business suit (apparently having come from work), got up and proclaimed: "That's what I came for." Then he left.

The Giants won, 9-6.

We went back to the PG on Sunday and sat in General Admission seats. Right field. There were a lot of Giants' fans and they (we) were vocal. Giants prevailed, again, 6-1. I also remember going to the PG later in the 1962 season when the Giants visited again. That first season, it seemed that there were more Giants fans in the stands than Mets fans. That has changed, dramatically. I get to Shea for the 3-Giants games. But there are very few Giants fans in the stands. And most of them are "SF" fans. I still wear a replica "retro" "NY" Giants cap when I attend the games. Most Mets fans cannot tell the difference between the NY Giants cap and the black (alternate) Mets cap.

When the Giants played the Yankees at YS in 2002, I went to 2 of the 3 games. On Friday night of that series, Peter McGowan wore a replica NY Giants cap as he sat next to the Giants (visitors') dugout. I commented to my friends that I thought it curious that he did not wear that cap when the Giants played at Shea. One leather-lunged Yankees fan, sitting next to us, and having overheard my comment, intoned (loudly): "Mets fans are too stupid (or "stooopid") to know the difference!"

Comment

Originally posted by NYGiantsFan2324 View Post
          When the Giants played the Yankees at YS in 2002, I went to 2 of the 3 games. On Friday night of that series, Peter McGowan wore a replica NY Giants cap as he sat next to the Giants (visitors') dugout. I commented to my friends that I thought it curious that he did not wear that cap when the Giants played at Shea. One leather-lunged Yankees fan, sitting next to us, and having overheard my comment, intoned (loudly): "Mets fans are too stupid (or "stooopid") to know the difference!"
          Wasn't McGowan originally a NY Giants fan and his family moved out to SF around the same time as the Giants?

Comment

The Giants and Dodgers accounted for about 470,000 (rough count) of the Mets 922,530 attendance in 1962. Nine home games against each, with three doubleheaders. So 15 days of attendance accounted for more than 50% of the entire season.

This trend declined with the opening of Shea, but the Dodgers and Giants were still the two biggest draws until 1967 or 68 when the Cardinals became the hottest ticket. The Mets originally did not favor the 1969 East/West divisions because it would mean less games against the Dodgers and Giants. As the tie to the old teams declined, they agreed to the split divisions.

Some of this early attendance was also due to the fact that the Giants and Dodgers were the two best teams of that period. But the 64 Cardinals won the WS and still didnt draw more in NY than the Giants and Dodgers in 64 & 65.

Another thing worth noting is that the Dodgers and maybe the Giants games were still broadcast on radio in NY after 1957. Diehard fans could still follow the departed teams. I am not sure how long that went on for. I am also not sure if that is uncommon or not.
            http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

The Giants games were broadcast on the radio in New York for a few years after the team moved- Les Keiter would do recreations of the Giants games on WINS until 1960.
              Last edited by chinese home run; 04-15-2008, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                This helped us from going "cold toikey... I was eleven and devastated. No longer eleven, but I'm still devastated.
                THE DODGERS AND GIANTS MOVING WAS, SIMPLY, WRONG!!

Roger Angel has a couple of articles that are published in books about the Dodgers and Giants first return to NY. I am not sure, but I think it is called Baseball Reader.
                BTW, I have been to your blog. GOOD STUFF!!!!
                Thanks
                http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

I went to a doubleheader at the Polo Grounds in July, 1962 when the SF Giants visited. My Dad and I stood outside the clubhouse as a bus pulled up....the entire Giants team came off!! I stood there and recited the names of every player who came off the bus.

Once Willie Mays made his appearance, the crowd stood up and cheered as he walked in from center field.

The Mets won the 1st game as jay hook pitched a good game. The giants won the 2nd game as Juan Marichal came in to pitch relief and get the save.

Comment

Yep Ralph, I love your blog also!!
                    Baseball. The official sport of god.

Comment

Originally posted by chinese home run View Post
                      The Giants games were broadcast on the radio in New York for a few years after the team moved- Les Keiter would do recreations of the Giants games on WINS until 1960.
                      Man, do I remember those.....I was in grade school but a big Giant fan....remember his "...here comes Willie, here comes the ball, he slides...he beat the ball, he beat the ball" I wish I could hear a few innings of even one of those old broadcasts. I recall being up until 3 or so in the morning listening to The Dominican Dandy's first game as a Giant starter, I believe it was a Friday night but I might be mistaken but I remember the game.

Comment

I know the Giants came back in the summer of 1961 to play an exhibition game against the Yankees, my Dad took me to that game and I recall it raining early on but we waited and then they played.....to this day, I can still here Bob Sheppard announcing the Giant line up....batting third and playing centerfield, Wil......then thunderous applause drowned him out. Think Willie got a base hit and drove in a run in the game before they took him out....that held me until the Giants came in the following year to the PG vs the Mets....my Dad again took me, and if memory serves me, Mays did hit one out that game and the Mets put on one of their furious rallys that fell short in the 9th...and I was sweating it out but the Giants prevailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                          I was there too [with Mert and The Bear]. I remember the lineups being announced, and Willie getting the loudest standing O ever. But, if I recall, the game was rained out.
                          No, I was sure they played...managed to find this which sort of bears out my memory although, I really don't recall the Mick's HR...but I only had eyes for Willie anyway.....but I do recall vividly that the rain cleared and they played...
                          __________________________________________________ _____________

"Monday, July 24th
                          IN THE NEWS: At Kansas City, Detroit P Frank Lary collides with rookie 3B Steve Boros, and both players leave the game with injuries. Lary does not miss a start but Boros' collarbone is broken and he will not return. He has 53 RBIs to date.

Boston OF Jackie Jensen's fear of flying gets the best of him and he refuses to fly to Los Angeles. The Sox say they will not pay him for games he misses because of the flying fear.

At Yankee Stadium, 50,000 fans, on hand for the Yankees exhibition game with the Giants, save their biggest cheer for Willie Mays. Willie delivers a 2-run single in the 4–1 victory. The only score for the Yanks is a Mickey Mantle homer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X