No announcement yet.

Our Alumni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now we are down to nine men who played for the 1954 World Championship team, although Garagiola was only with them for a very short period of time. He was picked up after the September 1st deadline, making him ineligible for the World Series. When Mays made "The Catch," Garagiola could be seen looking out the clubhouse window.
    When I was doing research for the book I wrote about the 1954 team, I contacted Garagiola, and he said he probably couldn't help me much. "Well," I said, "you probably had the best seat in the house when Mays made the catch."
    He said, "I never saw it." My jaw must have dropped a foot. He said, "I was blocked by the batter's eye. I heard nothing for a few seconds, then I heard a huge roar and saw the ball go back into the infield." And this was after fifty-some odd years of saying he saw it. Oh, well......
    I couldn't- or wouldn't- use anything of what he told me, because of something I heard about him and Stan Musial. When the Cardinals were in the World Series several years ago, someone in the Cardinals' front office came up with the idea of having Musial throw the first pitch to Garagiola. It seems the two of them had been partners in a bowling alley venture that went bad, and Joe sued Stan. Musial said, "I'll be staying home instead." The following night- with Garagiola back home in Arizona- Musial threw out the first pitch.
    I figured if Joe could sue one of the most beloved players in history, what chance would I have? The interview wound up on the cutting room floor, so to speak.
    Last edited by chinese home run; 03-24-2016, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Sadly, Daryl Spencer passed earlier this week. I'm not sure if we are down to 20 or 21 former New York Giants that are still living- it's one or the other, I believe. He was also one of just 26 men to play for the Giants on both coasts.

I had met him at an autograph show in New Jersey many years ago, and he agreed to an interview. Holy Smokes, it was one story after another until I realized an hour and a half went by. One of my favorites was when he asked me if I had ever seen the movie "Mr. Baseball" with Tom Selleck. I said that I had, and when he told me, "That scene where Selleck goes up to the plate holding his bat upside down- they stole that from me!" When Daryl played in Japan, he was intentionally walked several consecutive times one year when he was in the running for the home run title because the Japanese didn't want an American to win it.

A very aggressive player- he changed the playing style in Japan for good once he got there- but a good middle infielder with some pop in his bat. Although he played for a few other teams in MLB, I'll always think of him as a Giant.

Comment

I don't know how I missed this for so long, but we are now down to 20 living New York Giants players- and it's been that way for a while, as Windy McCall passed away way back on February 5, 2015, at the age of 89.

Comment

Originally posted by chinese home run View Post
          I don't know how I missed this for so long, but we are now down to 20 living New York Giants players- and it's been that way for a while, as Windy McCall passed away way back on February 5, 2015, at the age of 89.
          I think Windy McCall remained on the Wikipedia Oldest living Players List for quite a while after February 2015. For some reason, his death wasn't reported immediately..

Comment

There are 20 remaining New York Giants.
            I've put the Wikipedia Age Rank next to the players name (as of 12/11/17) - Wikipedia Ranking extends to #280. Only Mike McCormick is too young to be ranked..

11. Gil Coan 96
            16. Red Schoendienst 94 (Hall Of Famer)
            30.Wayne Terwilliger 92
            47. Harvey Gentry 91
            64. Billy Gardner 90
            100. Al Worthington 88
            120. Joe Margoneri 87*
            123. Ron Samford 87
            127. Johnny Antonelli 87
            132. Pete Burnside 87
            152. Foster Castleman 86
            161. Willie Mays 86 (Hall Of Famer)
            173. Ray Crone 86
            198. Ed Brossoud 85
            202. Ozzie Virgil Sr. 85
            261.- Roy Wright 84 (born Sept. 26, 1933 he misses being ranked by just a few months.)
            272. - Joe Amalfitano 83
            276. - Bill White 83
            280. - Jackie Brandt 83
            UR - Mike McCormick 79.

UR=Unranked.

Ages are as of the posting date 11/9/17, however, since none of the surviving NY Giants were born in November or December these ages are also true through 12/31/2017. - Ranks in parenthesis for the 280 oldest living MLB players as of 12/10/2017.

* #124 - Joe Margoneri, born 1/13/1930 is not only the first surviving NY Giant born in the 1930s, he is also the first surviving Major Leaguer born in the 1930s.The MLB player listed directly before him (Ray Herbert) was born in December 1929.

Wikipedia lists Ozzie Virgil Sr. as being born in 1932, not 1933, which makes him a year older than was previously reported on this thread.

UR - Unranked.
            Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-11-2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

NY Giants' starter-reliever, Al "Red" Worthington, age 88, (birthdate: Feb. 5, 1929), now ranks among the 100 oldest currently living major league baseball players, at #100, (according to Wikipedia). Worthington debuted in the majors with the Giants on July 6, 1953 and spent six seasons as a Giant (1953-1957, except 1955 in New York, and 1958 & 1959 in San Francisco). He also had a long run with the Minnesota Twins, pitching for them from 1964 until his final year in the major leagues, 1969.
              Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-11-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Feb. 2, 2018: Happy 95th birthday to Hall Of famer and former NY Giant second baseman, Red Schoendienst. He becomes the 16th currently living MLB player who is at least 95 years, but under 100 years of age. There are no living MLB players currently age 100 or more, with ex-St. Louis Brown, Chuck Stevens topping the list at about age 99 years, 7 months.

Comment

5/6/2018: It's Baseball Legend, Willie Mays' 87th birthday. Say hey, Willie, and many happy returns of the day.

Comment

Willie Mays' 87th birthday today reminds me that Mays hit the first home run I ever saw at a major league regular season game. I went to a season-ending Phillies-Giants doubleheader at The Polp Grounds, NYC with my parents on September 25, 1955. I was six years old. Giants' Rookie Pete Burnside, in his first major league start and pitching in just his second major league game defeated Phillies star Robin Roberts in Game One and the Phillies' Curt Simmons defeated Jim Hearn 3-1 (with relief help from Jack Meyer) in the nightcap as the teams split. Manager Leo Durocher was fired immediately after the game as the Giants stumbled to an 80-74 finish (disappointing after they were the 1954 World Champions). Mays smashed a mammoth home run off Roberts and Burnside pitched a shutout for 8.1 innings until yielding a two-run homer to Stan Lopata. Burnside, however, was able to finish what he started to get a 5-2 Complete Game victory. There was also a triple play that the Phillies turned off the bat of the Giants' Bobby Hoffman in game 2 (Kazanski to Morgan to 1B - Marv Blaylock) and a Game Two Inside-The-Park Home run by the Phillies Ted Kazanski.

Surviving Players of that doubleheader 63 years later.

Philadelphia Phillies:
                    Bobby Morgan - 2B - Games 1 & 2
                    Ted Kazanski: - SS - Games 1 & 2
                    Bob Miller - P (in relief of R. Roberts) - Game 1.- nearing age 92 - Oldest surviving Phillie of that doubleheader.
                    Curt Simmons - P Game 2.(went 8 innings to earn the win).

New York Giants
                    Willie Mays - CF - Games 1 & 2.(Hit home run #51 - to lead the majors in home runs in 1955)
                    Joey Amalfitano - INF - Games 1 & 2.
                    Pete Burnside - P - Game 1. (Earned Complete Game and his first major league Win)
                    Wayne Terwilliger - INF - Game 2
                    Gil Coan - Pinch Hitter & OF. - Game 2. (Turns 96 on May 18 - the oldest living player to play in that doubleheader - He was 33 in 1955).
                    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 05-06-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

RHP - Roy Wright, whose NY Giants' and major league career consisted of pitching in one game (a start and a loss) at the end of the 1956 season has passed away at the age of 84.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post

There are 17 remaining New York Giants.

I've put the Wikipedia Age Rank next to the players name (as of 12/11/17) - Wikipedia Ranking extends to #280. Only Mike McCormick is too young to be ranked.. (Ages are no longer accurate - Calif_Eagle)

11. Gil Coan 96
                        30.Wayne Terwilliger 92
                        64. Billy Gardner 90
                        100. Al Worthington 88
                        120. Joe Margoneri 87*
                        123. Ron Samford 87
                        127. Johnny Antonelli 87
                        132. Pete Burnside 87
                        152. Foster Castleman 86
                        161. Willie Mays 86 (Hall Of Famer)
                        173. Ray Crone 86
                        198. Ed Brossoud 85
                        202. Ozzie Virgil Sr. 85
                        272. - Joe Amalfitano 83
                        276. - Bill White 83
                        280. - Jackie Brandt 83
                        UR - Mike McCormick 79.

UR=Unranked.

Ages are as of the posting date 11/9/17, however, since none of the surviving NY Giants were born in November or December these ages are also true through 12/31/2017. - Ranks in parenthesis for the 280 oldest living MLB players as of 12/10/2017.
                        Updated to reflect the passing of Red Schoendienst. https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...choere01.shtml

Updated 8/1/2018 to reflect the passing of Harvey Gentry, who had 4 AB with 1 hit for the 1954 World Series winning New York Giants. (I'm virtually certain he wasn't on the WS roster, and the above comprised his entire MLB career. Wonder if he got a WS ring? https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...entrha01.shtml
                        Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 08-01-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Sadly. we are now down to 18 former New York Giants with the passing of Red Schoendienst Most people don't think of him as a Giant- to me he is first and foremost a Cardinal- but he did come over to the Giants in a huge, typical Frank Lane change-of-scenery trade at the 1956 trade deadline that helped neither team. Although Red did what he normally did for the Giants- hit .300 or so and play a good second base- he wound up going to the Braves at the June 15th deadline and helped them win their first World Series in Milwaukee. A good baseball man who will be missed.

Comment

The above list (2 posts above this one) was updated to reflect the passing of Harvey Gentry who (as noted above)
                            had 4 AB with 1 hit for the 1954 World Series winning New York Giants. (I'm virtually certain he wasn't on the WS roster, and the above comprised his entire MLB career. Wonder if he got a WS ring?)
                            https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...entrha01.shtml

EDIT: He almost certainly did not get a ring as his entry in the baseball Wiki at baseball reference.com indicates that he was on the early season roster of the Giants in 1954, before the cut-down date. He would have been long gone both when rosters were increased in Sept. and of course before the World Series that fall.
                            Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 08-01-2018, 09:57 PM.

Comment

A late-reported death. P - Harvey Gentry - 1954 NY Giants passed away on July 1, 2018, but it was not reported until October 24, 2018. (WIkipedia)

Comment

LHP - Joe Margoneri (1956 & 1957 NY Giants) has recently become the first player born in the 1930s to reach the Wikipedia 100 oldest Living MLB players list. He is currently number 100 on the list. He was born January 13, 1930, so he turned 89 earlier this week.
                                On the current Wikipedia 100 Oldest Living MLB players list there are two players who were born before 1920, 97 players who were born in the 1920s, and now he first player born in the 1930s - Joe Margoneri.
                                The last player on the list born in the 1920s on the List is Ray Herbert (born; December 15, 1929) He's # 99 on the Wikipedia 100 Living Oldest MLB players list. Herbert was certainly "Well-Traveled". Between 1950 and 1966 he pitched for the Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Athletics, Chicago White Sox and Philadelphia Phillies compiling a 104-107 lifetime record with a 4.01 earned run average. His best year was 1962 when he went 20-9 for the White Sox. It was his only 20 Win season and it was the only year that he made an All-Star team.
                                Last edited by philliesfiend55; 01-19-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X