polo grounds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polo grounds

hello to everyone. ONE thing that i would like to get off of my chest is that i am getting sick and tired of reading in books about the negative things about the polo grounds. THE polo grounds like tiger stadium here in detroit does not get the respect i think they should.NONE of the old parks were perfect. not even EBBETS FIELD IN BROOKLYN. they had post to obstuct the views but there were needed for getting the great views from the upper decks of the old parks i have been to alot of games at TIGER STADIUM which is still standing they have not torn it down, and are new COMERICA PARK STINKS. i swear that i will not go down to see a game there. I read about how old the POLO GROUNDS WAS but it was only 53 years old when they started taking her down in APRIL OF 1964. THE GIANTS started playing there in 1891 but the stadium was wooden and burned down in 1911. I have talked to a few oldtimmers players who played there for the giants and mets and there was nothing wrong with the structure. IT was not falling down.THE area around the stadium was not the greatest. I was there in 1988 for a yankee redsox game at yankee stadium and i visited the polo grounds site which are apartment buildings now with the name POLO GROUNDS APARTMENTS. I HAD a cassette of the BOBBY THOMSON HOMERUN CALL FROM RUSS HODGES and i listened to it and it was great to hear the call there even with the polo grounds being torn down. I think that they could of used it a few more years but they wanted the property for housing. I asked MONTY IRVIN A fews years ago about if they could have stayed at the PG AND HE TOLD ME that they could have been there another 15 years or more. I also visited the EBBETS FIELD apartments and that was great to get a chance to see were it was. I had a copy on cassette of a DUKE SNIDER HOMERUN ONTO BEDFORD AVE and i listened to it and there were people around that though that was great. THE POLO GROUNDS had a lot of posts there as you can see in photos of the stadium MOST of the seats were obstucted but i would rather sit infront of a post there or at EBBETS FIELD CROSLEY FIELD OR ANY OF THE OLD TIME PARKS THAN TO GO TO A NEW STADIUM LIKE COMERICA PARK thanks DONALD LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Last edited by prof93; 09-18-2005, 05:51 AM.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." - Leo Durocher -

Comment

Last edited by prof93; 09-18-2005, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Last edited by prof93; 09-18-2005, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Last edited by prof93; 09-18-2005, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Last edited by prof93; 09-18-2005, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Joe DiMaggio hits a home run in the third inning of the Oct. 10, 1937, World Series game at the Polo Grounds
              Last edited by prof93; 09-18-2005, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Last edited by prof93; 09-18-2005, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Comment

Joe Jackson batting during a game at Polo Grounds on August of 1915, shortly before he was traded to the White Sox. This game was played Monday August 9, 1915 and would explain why the crowd is so small
                    Last edited by prof93; 09-18-2005, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Comment

Joe DiMaggio of the Yankees Homers in the 1951 World Series

Comment

Gil McDougald becomes first rookie ever to hit a Grand Slam in the World Series

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X