On August 19, 1957.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polo grounds area

hello to everyone. the area around the polo grounds was in a decline back when the giants were there that is very true but i get so sick and tired of hereing people bash the stadium itself(POLO GROUNDS)as to what GREENPEACH SAID about the polo grounds creaking after all of the years let me state the facts once and for all about the polo grounds. yes it is a fact that i never saw the polo grounds because i was born in 1961 but i have talked to alot of former giants and ny mets that played there and the bottom line from them that there was nothing wrong with the polo grounds itself. the area around the stadium was bad. POLO GROUNDS was not a perfect ballpark it did have a lot of posts to obstruct view but all of the classic parks including EBBETS FIELD HAD THE POSTS ALL SO. AS far as the fan getting shot in the polo grounds that happened around the 4th july in 1950. THE POLO GROUNDS like TIGER STADIUM here in detroit still does not get the respect that they desever the polo grounds was only 53 years old when it was torn down in april 1964. just because the giants started playing at that site in 1891 alot of people think that the stadium is older than it was. I was at the site in 1988 and it was very bad at the time. meaning harlem. inclosing i wish that i would have had a chance to have gone to the polo grounds when it was still there and not a apartment complex. TO all of you people out there that was able to have had a chance to go to see the polo grounds and EBBETS FIELD consider yourself very lucky and fortunate take care everyone donald detroit. P.S I finally got my RHEINGOLD BEER IT IS GREAT.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Originally posted by Greenpeach
      I see my friend, so if you don't like the message you just disparage the messenger. You must be quite active in politics. Quite honestly, I could care less what you believe. I just made a statement & backed it up with a legitimate reference. That is far more then you do most of the time. If you're so inclined Westside do your own research to refute the premise of my initial post.
      If all you have is somebody saying Lee Allen said something once, that's not a "legitimate reference".

I don't have to "refute" the preposterous and ludicrous suggestion that there were "armed robberies in the Polo Grounds during games", which is obviously nothing but than a figment of his (frequently exercised, and heavily lubricated) imagination.

If that's all you got, you got nothin'.

If such a thing ever really happened it would have been headline news at the time. Well - show us the headlines. Or stow it.

And no, I have no intention of doing YOUR research for YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by westsidegrounds
        If all you have is somebody saying Lee Allen said something once, that's not a "legitimate reference".

I don't have to "refute" the preposterous and ludicrous suggestion that there were "armed robberies in the Polo Grounds during games", which is obviously nothing but than a figment of his (frequently exercised, and heavily lubricated) imagination.

If that's all you got, you got nothin'.

If such a thing ever really happened it would have been headline news at the time. Well - show us the headlines. Or stow it.

And no, I have no intention of doing YOUR research for YOU.
        Brilliant rationalization from an esteemed member of the Flat Earth Society of Coogan's Bluff. I'm sorry my friend, but you're the one who has nothing....still again. I work for a living & don't have the time nor the inclination to do further research. If & when I come across more references, I will post them.

I noticed that you didn't comment on the fan being killed by the sniper from the rooftop. I guess you don't believe that either.
        Last edited by Greenpeach; 08-26-2004, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenpeach
          I noticed that you didn't comment on the fan being killed by the sniper from the rooftop. I guess you don't believe that either.
          That one's a fact. It was in all the papers, there were witnesses ... it wasn't just something that popped into the mind of a sozzled old fabulist as something that would be funny to say.

It makes sense to say the Tribune Company can't guarantee Wrigley Field patrons won't be konked on the head by falling concrete, because it's a fact that Wrigley has been shedding chunks of concrete from the roof for a while now.

It doesn't make sense to say the Giants couldn't guarantee fans wouldn't be attacked by armed robbers during games, because that never happened.

It's a simple distinction.

Comment

polo grounds

hello to everyone LETS SEE SOME PROOF ABOUT PEOPLE BEING ROBBED AT THE POLO GROUNDS DURING GAMES i get sick and tired of the polo grounds being bashed and put down. GRANTED THE AREA around the stadium was bad and granted that a person was killed in 1950 around the 4th july but lets see the proof about the rest. the area around EBBETS FIELD I WAS TOLD was bad also like where the polo grounds was. AND I GET SICK AND TIRED READING IN BOOKS ABOUT HOW bad the polo grounds was. as i stated before i have talked to alot of ball players who have played at the polo grounds and i have been told that there was nothing wrong with the stadium(polo grounds) TAKE CARE EVRYONE DONALD DETROIT MI
            LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

The Giants are and always will be New York's team. The Polo Grounds was a symbol of their success and downfalls. But we all know that maybe, just maybe that it was in the best interest for the team's longevity. That is to move the team to the West. The PG was old and yes it was in a bad area. But as POLO GROUNDS said, it was the area. The Giants didn't want to be in that kind of environment anyway. But as previously mentioned, Shea Stadium would fit them. Queens would be better. The Dodgers on the other hand would fair off in Ebbets Field because they had a great fan base. Yes the Giants were losing out fans. But look what happened. California was thirsting for a ML team and they got it, North vs South. The rivalry is still alive for more than 100 years. It wouldn't matter where they are at now. They still come to New York to visit and there is that feeling hey, there would be a chance for one of THEM to come back and by golly, welcome THEM with open arms! Ladies and gentlemen, it may happen. GO GIANTS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GiantsFan

The Giants are and always will be New York's team.
                True words.

If the city govt. back then had really appreciated the Giants' significance they would have welcomed Horace's innovative concept of building a new ballpark over on Manahattan's west side. But they were politicians, so ...

There's apparently still some room over there, I seem to remember some talk of building the Yanks a (totally unneeded) new park there some years ago. But with the Giants drawing three million or so in their latest park, it'll take some doing to get them back.

Comment

After the Giants left New York, Horace Stoneham agreed to have the Giant home games recreated for Giant fans on WINS 1010. Les Keider was the broadcster who did the recreation. The team that left with them had no such contriteness for their fans. Deep down I think Stoneham knew he made a mistake. From a business perspective, O'Malley got a great deal he virtually stole the property to build Chavez Ravine. Stoneham had no such acumen and never checked on things like the winds at Candlestick Point. The Giants survived in Candlestick, which was once described by Jim Wohlford this way " The only difference between Candlestick and San Quentin is you get to go home at night."
                  Last edited by GIANT; 09-11-2004, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Los Angeles was far more desperate for a Major League team than SF, they needed it to validate their civic existence, that's why the local pols bent over for the big O. SF was glad to get a team, but not willing to give it all away.

It was SF that held the PCL attendance record, not LA. And compare their attendance for the past few years ... SF doesn't look too shabby now, does it?

As for Candlestick, hey, it's a Giants tradition to play in, uh, idiosyncratic ballparks.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantsFan
                      Imagine the Giants moving back to New York. Hey look what happened to the Oakland Raiders. They returned back home after staying like 13 years in Los Angeles. That's a dream anyway. The sister team Mets are their team now with a piece of Dodger and Giant engraved in them forever. Sad!
                      I think not so. Move back to NYC? The SF Giants are making money and have a brand new stadium.
                      The majority of the former Giants and Dodgers' fandom are rooting loyally to the Mets.

Hello everyone, I'm a Red Sox fan but also I'm a Giants fan.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Swiss.

I, too, am a Red Sox fan -- since 1967, the year of "The Impossible Dream" (Yastrzemski, Lonborg) -- so now I root for the Giants in the NL and the Red Sox in the AL.

This year was a big thrill I'm sure Red Sox fans will never forget. It is the first time a team I rooted for won the World Series since 1954, the last time the Giants won -- and that too was a 4-game sweep.
                        WRD

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss
                          Hello everyone, I'm a Red Sox fan but also I'm a Giants fan.
                          You must have enjoyed 1912.
                          Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

Re-creations of Giant games in 1958-1960 by Les Keiter

I saw a reference somewhere to the Giant games being re-created. What do people remember about those re-creations? I remember listening every day to Les Keiter, not a bad announcer. I remember hearing the re-creation of McCovey's first game as a Giant vs. the Phillies when he went 5 for 5 in 1959. I believe he actually had 2 triples. As a 7 or 8 year old boy I loved those re-creations. After the Giants had a bad year in 1960 finishing 5th I believe to the Pirates they stopped the re-creations. The Giants though were pretty good in 58 and 59 almost winning both years. I think they would have packed them in at the Polo Grounds had they stayed for those teams. I don't believe Dodger games were re-created. Is that correct?
                            Would appreciate it hearing if you have any recollections of these re-creations. Were they on WINS?
                            Thanks
                            Steve B.

Comment

Originally posted by sbal24
                              I saw a reference somewhere to the Giant games being re-created. What do people remember about those re-creations? I remember listening every day to Les Keiter, not a bad announcer. I remember hearing the re-creation of McCovey's first game as a Giant vs. the Phillies when he went 5 for 5 in 1959. I believe he actually had 2 triples. As a 7 or 8 year old boy I loved those re-creations. After the Giants had a bad year in 1960 finishing 5th I believe to the Pirates they stopped the re-creations. The Giants though were pretty good in 58 and 59 almost winning both years. I think they would have packed them in at the Polo Grounds had they stayed for those teams. I don't believe Dodger games were re-created. Is that correct?
                              Would appreciate it hearing if you have any recollections of these re-creations. Were they on WINS?
                              Thanks
                              Steve B.
                              The Giant games were recreated on WINS 1010. Les Keiter was the broadcaster. Keiter broadcast New York Football Giant games in the early fifties. Keiter was a fine broadcaster. The games were recreated on PDT. Top Brass for Men was one of the sponsors. The McCovey game, which you referenced occurred on July 30, 1959. "Stretch" went 5-5 against Robin Roberts of the Phillies. I recall the first game the Giants played at Seals Stadium in 1958 against the Dodgers was recreated by Mr. Keiter. Ruben Gomez beat Don Drysdale 8-0. The early San Francisco Giant teams with Mays, Cepeda, McCovey, Kirkland and later Jim Ray Hart would have flourished offensively at the Polo Grounds. They still had Johnny Antonelli and a young right hander named Juan Marichal on the horizon.

After the Giants left New York, the Phillies televised all home games with the Giants and Dodgers on WOR TV Channel 9. Later the Pirates broadcast their games with the Giants and Dodgers on Channel 13.

The Dodgers did not recreate any of their games into the New York market upon their departure.
                              Last edited by GIANT; 12-07-2005, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I've always felt that Horace Stoneham was no match for O'Malley in business acumen, force of personality, and greed. (And, believe me, I am NO admirer of O'Malley!)

But Horace outdid O'Malley in one trait far more important: decency. Horace was honest enough to tell the truth while he still had customers to lose by doing so. I've always respected him for the timing of his announcement of the move to SF.

I have no doubt that he would have stayed here had he been able to do so.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X