On August 19, 1957.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EbtsFldGuy
    I've always felt that Horace Stoneham was no match for O'Malley in business acumen, force of personality, and greed. (And, believe me, I am NO admirer of O'Malley!)

But Horace outdid O'Malley in one trait far more important: decency. Horace was honest enough to tell the truth while he still had customers to lose by doing so. I've always respected him for the timing of his announcement of the move to SF.

I have no doubt that he would have stayed here had he been able to do so.
    Horace was a decent and honest man, words I would never use to describe O'Malley. Unfortunatly, like many others, Horace was a pawn in O'Malleys scheme.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

Originally posted by GIANT
      After the Giants left New York, Horace Stoneham agreed to have the Giant home games recreated for Giant fans on WINS 1010. Les Keider was the broadcster who did the recreation. The team that left with them had no such contriteness for their fans. Deep down I think Stoneham knew he made a mistake. From a business perspective, O'Malley got a great deal he virtually stole the property to build Chavez Ravine. Stoneham had no such acumen and never checked on things like the winds at Candlestick Point. The Giants survived in Candlestick, which was once described by Jim Wohlford this way " The only difference between Candlestick and San Quentin is you get to go home at night."
      The enormity of the mistake was evidenced one Friday night in about 1979 (I think). I was watching Bill Jorgensen do the Channel 5 (NYC) news, and he opened with this lead: "The San Francisco Giants are no more."

You'll recall an abortive movement to send the Giants to Toronto at that time. The deal was announced, and then SF scrambled and saved the team.

Had that happened, the move to SF would have lasted only 21 years!

A couple of years later, the Blue Jays were formed for Toronto.

Then later still, there was talk of the Giants going to San Jose.

Goes to show that Stoneham did not think through his move West.

Comment

on august 19 1957

I think the year that the Giants were going to move was 1975 not 1979 because the Blue Jays came into the A.L. in 1977.Also after the 1991 season they were all packed and on there way to Tampa Bay until Peter McGowen purchased the team and put some pride back into the franchise since he grew up as a N.Y.Giants fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenpeach View Post
          Sure, here you go Westside.

"There were some vague attempts to induce the Giants to stay. The Polo Grounds was creaking after all those busy years, and the neighborhood outside, to put it kindly, was deteriorating. "There were times." Lee Allen once remarked, "when the Giants couldn't guarantee their box-seat customers safety from armed robberies during night games." Nor was attendance particularly helped when a Giant fan was killed during a game by a sniper's bullet fired from a nearby Harlem rooftop."

"The Giants of The Polo Grounds" by Noel Hynd pg. 380
          The shooting victim was a 52-year old retired Railway Express worker, who was sitting in the upper left-field stands.
          The shooter was 15-year old Bobby Peebles, who fired the shot into the air from the roof of a housing complex some 1150' away. The kid was celebrating July 4 (1950). He had one round in his pistol. The bullet came down and hit the victim in the temple. Bobby served two years in reform school.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X