Origin of the "NY" logo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of the "NY" logo

I recently did a final tour of Yankee and Shea Stadium to take as many pics as possible. At Yankee Stadium, I saw a plaque that explained the origins of the interlocking "NY" logo for the Yanks.

I know the Mets' "NY" comes from the Giants but does anyone know where the Giants got it from?
    Sign Cespedes & Murphy

This is a good question. The Yankees logo was designed by Tiffany's for an 1870s memorial to a slain policeman, if I'm not mistaken. If the Yankees adopted the old NY logo designed by Tiffany's you'd have to assume the Giant's NY came later, but I believe both appeared on their respective uniforms around 1908. I'm not sure which was actually first.

Did the Yankees nick the old Tiffany's logo first? One of their owners was a former Police Commissioner linked to Tammany Hall. One would assume he or one of his associates remembered the old Police Memorial/Tiffany's logo and that the Yankees adopted it first, and the Giants followed suit.

Did the Giants then hire a graphic artist to pen a competing logo? I actually always thought the old Giants logo was more elegant than the Yankees logo or the later Giants/Mets logo.

I've alway wondered about this but have never seen a reference that explained it. Does anybody know?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Yankee NY is from Tiffanys

When I went to YS, there was a plaque near the entrance to Memorial park that outlined the origin of the logo and it mentions the Tiffany connection. That's what made me wonder about the Giants' NY.

I've scoured the internet looking for an answer and have not come up with anything. I'm also 28 and from Brooklyn so it's unlikely that I'll run into any NY Giants fans in person who may know the answer. I'm an avid WFAN listener and I know Chris Russo is a fan as well as newbie Evan Roberts (whose grandfather was a Giants fan thought Evan is a Mets fan).

I tried to get through to them but I just stay on hold that long.
      Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
        This is a good question. The Yankees logo was designed by Tiffany's for an 1870s memorial to a slain policeman, if I'm not mistaken. If the Yankees adopted the old NY logo designed by Tiffany's you'd have to assume the Giant's NY came later, but I believe both appeared on their respective uniforms around 1908. I'm not sure which was actually first.

Did the Yankees nick the old Tiffany's logo first? One of their owners was a former Police Commissioner linked to Tammany Hall. One would assume he or one of his associates remembered the old Police Memorial/Tiffany's logo and that the Yankees adopted it first, and the Giants followed suit.

Did the Giants then hire a graphic artist to pen a competing logo? I actually always thought the old Giants logo was more elegant than the Yankees logo or the later Giants/Mets logo.

I've alway wondered about this but have never seen a reference that explained it. Does anybody know?
        I have no idea of the origin of the "Giants NY." I would like to note the subtle but real differences between the Giants and Mets "NY." My avatar is a 1951-7 Giants "NY."
        ---
        Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
        Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

I do see the differences but it thought that was an earlier rendition of the logo and that it eventually made the transition to the one the Mets use today. I have a Cooperstown classic NY Giants hat and it's identical to the Mets logo. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.dugout-memories.com/newgia.html
          Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Comment

A "Y" superimposed on an "N" is not very complicated, so to speak, so I'm sure people have been doing it forever, long before baseball in New York. Probably multiple origins. That is just the way I tend to look at it.

:twocents:

Comment

Originally posted by Bklyn'55 View Post
              I do see the differences but it thought that was an earlier rendition of the logo and that it eventually made the transition to the one the Mets use today. I have a Cooperstown classic NY Giants hat and it's identical to the Mets logo. Here's a link to their website:

They recreate the caps improperly. Don't shoot the messenger :-)
              ---
              Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Wow, I never realized how similar some of those old Giants cap were to Mets caps. If someone was walking the streets of NY with a 1942 Giants cap I'd be willing to bet every single person that came across it would think it was a Mets alternate cap of some sort.

Comment

Looks like I need to get a new Giants hat. Mine is basically a black Mets hat sans the white and blue shading.
                  Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Comment

Originally posted by Toy Boat View Post
                    Wow, I never realized how similar some of those old Giants cap were to Mets caps. If someone was walking the streets of NY with a 1942 Giants cap I'd be willing to bet every single person that came across it would think it was a Mets alternate cap of some sort.
                    The 1942 NY Giants cap logo looks nothing like any of the Mets caps past or present. First off the Giants colors in 1942 were Royal Blue, Red and White. The cap that year was Royal blue with a Red Button and a White NY patch outlined in Red and sewn onto the cap, It was not embroidered. The lettering style (then known as serif) was pretty much what you see as my ID logo in the upper left of this posting but in two colors for 1942. The basic NY shown above was the standard Giants NY from very early in the 20th Century thru, I believe 1948. In '49 the caps as well as the uniform trim went to Orange and Black and the cap logo subtlely changed to what would later be adopted by the Mets in 1962. If you look closely at a New York Giants cap of the 50s it bears only a slight resemblance to the Mets current caps. In my mind the current Mets cap logo looks like fish hooks gone wild.

Go to the following link to see a genuine 1950s Sal Maglie cap which was being auctioned off.
                    http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...m=717&lot_qual

Go to this link to see a genuine 1962 Rogers Hornsby NY Mets cap
                    http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...=713&lot_qual=

Go to this link to see a "reasonable replica" of the NY Giants cap of 1942
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-YORK-NY-GIAN...3286.m20.l1116
                    Last edited by rcl986@aol.com; 11-13-2008, 03:27 PM.
                    RCL

Comment

Looks like I need to get a new Giants hat. Mine is basically a black Mets hat sans the white and blue shading.
                      Make sure it has an orange button. Cooperstown Ball Cap Company will make one up for you, for a fair price, given their penchant for quality and authenticity.
                      ---
                      Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rcl986@aol.com View Post
                        The 1942 NY Giants cap logo looks nothing like any of the Mets caps past or present. First off the Giants colors in 1942 were Royal Blue, Red and White. The cap that year was Royal blue with a Red Button and a White NY patch outlined in Red and sewn onto the cap, It was not embroidered. The lettering style (then known as serif) was pretty much what you see as my ID logo in the upper left of this posting but in two colors for 1942. The basic NY shown above was the standard Giants NY from very early in the 20th Century thru, I believe 1948. In '49 the caps as well as the uniform trim went to Orange and Black and the cap logo subtlely changed to what would later be adopted by the Mets in 1962. If you look closely at a New York Giants cap of the 50s it bears only a slight resemblance to the Mets current caps. In my mind the current Mets cap logo looks like fish hooks gone wild.

Go to the following link to see a genuine 1950s Sal Maglie cap which was being auctioned off.
                        http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...m=717&lot_qual

Go to this link to see a genuine 1962 Rogers Hornsby NY Mets cap
                        http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...=713&lot_qual=

Go to this link to see a "reasonable replica" of the NY Giants cap of 1942
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-YORK-NY-GIAN...3286.m20.l1116
                        I obviously don't know the caps as well as you do, but they sure look similar to me:

Comment

Originally posted by Toy Boat View Post
                          I obviously don't know the caps as well as you do, but they sure look similar to me:

Yes they do! The fact is however that this 1942 Giants knockoff by American Needle is just that.....A knockoff. They did the same thing with what they describe as the Giants 1936 model. What they did was simply take a mid 80s Mets cap and adopt the Giants colors of the era they were looking to replicate. I didn't mean to sound condensending in my previous post, I just hate to see people get taken in by "nostalgia" companies who do very little research in providing the baseball fan with authentic looking replicas. For some reason this is most prevalent in New York Giants merchandise.

As Ralph Zig Tyko pointed out in a couple of previous posts, your best source for truly authentic "replicas" is the Cooperstown Ball Cap company. They may be a bit expensive but they use the same materials ie. Wool felt, Leather Sweatbands, well researched and closely Authentic Logos (be they Felt sewn ons or embroidered) that were used in the era they are depicting. If you're just looking to have an old logo on a new cap, New Era is your best bet. Logo's are well researched and although everything is embroidered it is of excellent quality and made by the people who produce todays MLB caps.
                          Last edited by rcl986@aol.com; 11-14-2008, 05:38 AM.
                          RCL

Comment

Originally posted by rcl986@aol.com View Post
                            Yes they do! The fact is however that this 1942 Giants knockoff by American Needle is just that.....A knockoff. They did the same thing with what they describe as the Giants 1936 model. What they did was simply take a mid 80s Mets cap and adopt the Giants colors of the era they were looking to replicate. I didn't mean to sound condensending in my previous post, I just hate to see people get taken in by "nostalgia" companies who do very little research in providing the baseball fan with authentic looking replicas. For some reason this is most prevalent in New York Giants merchandise.

As Ralph Zig Tyko pointed out in a couple of previous posts, your best source for truly authentic "replicas" is the Cooperstown Ball Cap company. They may be a bit expensive but they use the same materials ie. Wool felt, Leather Sweatbands, well researched and closely Authentic Logos (be they Felt sewn ons or embroidered) that were used in the era they are depicting. If you're just looking to have an old logo on a new cap, New Era is your best bet. Logo's are well researched and although everything is embroidered it is of excellent quality and made by the people who produce todays MLB caps.
                            http://pushpull.wordpress.com/2007/0...-soft-mine-is/
                            ---
                            Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Thanks for chiming in guys, the info about the Giants vs. Mets logo is as interesting as the search for the origin, IMO. rcl, it looks like the Sal Maglie hat looks more like the Mets logo than the one on rcl and Ralph's avatar.

Regarding the "fish hooks" (nice comparison btw), it seems the early Giants logo had that comma looking feature on one side and a triangular point on the other but the Maglie hat has that Met-like proportional hook. Here's a decent but not sure how accurate website showing the logos throughout the years:

http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=86

It also seems the Mets logo is slimmer and the "N" is not as wide allowing for the "Y" to be more towards the center and not to the left as the early Giants logo seems to be.

Does the progression features on the website seem accurate to anyone?
                              Last edited by Bklyn'55; 11-14-2008, 11:41 AM.
                              Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X