Mel Ott, An Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Ott, An Appreciation

This Sunday marks 60 years since the man who hit more home runs in New York City than anyone else hit his last one. Mel Ott is shown some overdue love at Gotham Baseball:

http://www.gothambaseball.com/bigmed...tt-to-be.shtml
    Faith and Fear in Flushing: The Blog

Faith and Fear in Flushing: The Book

Originally posted by Greg NYG-NYM
    This Sunday marks 60 years since the man who hit more home runs in New York City than anyone else hit his last one. Mel Ott is shown some overdue love at Gotham Baseball:

http://www.gothambaseball.com/bigmed...tt-to-be.shtml
    Greg NYG-NYM: The year 2009 will mark the centennial of Mel Ott's birth. Ott was a fine person who died way too soon-just like another NY baseball legend, Lou Gehrig. Also, thanks for the websites, especially gothambaseball.com. Brownie31
    Last edited by Brownie31; 04-13-2006, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Ott was simply the greatest of all the NY Giants.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
        Agreed to a point. Willie Mays, in my opinon, was the greatest Giant (New York & San Francisco) of them all. Perhaps the greatest player of all time, regardless of team.
        RCL

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
          Agreed to a point. Willie Mays, in my opinon, was the greatest Giant (New York & San Francisco) of them all. Perhaps the greatest player of all time, regardless of team.

Yes, Mays was better than Ott, but he was only an NY Giant for 5+ seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
            [email protected]: I certainly share your sentiments in re Willie Mays being the greatest ball player of all time-irregardless of team. However, I do go along with Mel Ott as greatest New York Giant. You could not go wrong with either of them! Brownie31

Comment

This I agree. Only Christy Matthewson gives Ott a run for his money...
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                This I agree. Only Christy Matthewson gives Ott a run for his money...
                Bill Terry should not be overlooked as the greatest of New York Giants. Terry had six years in which he had over 200 hits. Terry was also the last player in the National League to hit .400 accomplishing the feat in 1930 when he hit 401. Like Ott, Terry was a player manager. He won the pennant and World Series in 1933 beating Washington. He also won pennants in 1936 and 1937 both times losing to the Yankees. Ott and Matthewson were great players as is proven by their induction into the Hall of Fame. However, "Memphis Bill" certainly belongs in their company and arguably is the greatest New York Giant of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by GIANT
                  Bill Terry should not be overlooked as the greatest of New York Giants. Terry had six years in which he had over 200 hits. Terry was also the last player in the National League to hit .400 accomplishing the feat in 1930 when he hit 401. Like Ott, Terry was a player manager. He won the pennant and World Series in 1933 beating Washington. He also won pennants in 1936 and 1937 both times losing to the Yankees. Ott and Matthewson were great players as is proven by their induction into the Hall of Fame. However, "Memphis Bill" certainly belongs in their company and arguably is the greatest New York Giant of all time.
                  GIANT: I would still rank Ott as number one followed by Mathewson, Terry, Hubbell, Frisch and Mays. All top tier baseball greats.

Brownie31

Comment

Originally posted by GIANT

You must be giving him a lot of points for being a career Giant since Roger Connor was more productive as a Giants 1B than Terry. I can't imagine boosting him above other Giants because he was a "successful" manager. If that was the case John McGraw would be the greatest Giant. And Terry has no case versus Ott.

Comment

You must be giving him a lot of points for being a career Giant since Roger Connor was more productive as a Giants 1B than Terry. I can't imagine boosting him above other Giants because he was a "successful" manager. If that was the case John McGraw would be the greatest Giant. And Terry has no case versus Ott.
                      My point was not to persuade you to choose Terry but merely not to overlook him.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X