No announcement yet.

Cooperstown Cap Company New York Giants Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody ever bought one of Cooperstown's 1933 caps? I'm curious as to how good the logo looks in person.
    Attached Files

Comment

I managed to pick up the American Needle 1911 cap for $4.95 at Urban Outfitters in downtown San Francisco. Wrong size but I'm actively working to shrink it! I had paid $30 for a 1922 Yankees months ago so this was a great find.

Comment

Wear it in the shower and leave it in the sun. Or you can try to leave it near the back window in the car. The heat will shrink it. The drawback, especially if you have a New Era hat are:

1. Creases
        2. Cap loses it's structural integrity
        3. Bill gets soft
        Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Comment

The 1911 hat is awesome. I wish I could order it online but it's impossible to know what size to get without trying it on.
          Sign Cespedes & Murphy

Comment

Originally posted by Bklyn'55 View Post
            The 1911 hat is awesome. I wish I could order it online but it's impossible to know what size to get without trying it on.
            Where do you live? If you live in New York or the Bay Area it's definitely worth going to an Urban Outfitters and trying to find the hat.

Comment

Posted in error
              Attached Files
              Last edited by [email protected]; 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM.
              RCL

Comment

Don't know what happened to the message I posted with the foregoing photos but this is an original 1950s New York Giants cap which I recently purchased. Believe it or not it's in brand new condition.

I apologize for the size and hope that you can reduce it on your computer.

The cap is virtually the same cap I purchased in 1954 from Gerry Cosby & Co. The only difference being the manufacturer, Pro KM. Pro KM I believe, took over the manufacture of many MLB teams caps from Tim McAuliffe & Co. around 1956 or '57 and continued through the mid to late 70s.

If I wasn't so happy I'd be almost embarrassed to admit that I got it for $86.00 on ebay. You may wish to compare this cap to a Sal Maglie cap sold at a memorabillia auction a few years ago. That cap can be seen at:

www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=21&lot_num=717&lot_qual+[/url]

Once again sorry for the size of those photos.
                RCL

Comment

http://www.huntauctions.com/live/ima...=717&lot_qual=

Ralph

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The cap sold at auction by Hunt (link above) is identical to that of the one I just purchased.
                  RCL

Comment

Have a 1951 cap on the way along with a 1957 Milwaukee Braves cap for a co-worker, thanks for the tip on the sale!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      http://www.huntauctions.com/live/ima...=717&lot_qual=

Ralph

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The cap sold at auction by Hunt (link above) is identical to that of the one I just purchased.
                      The cap you purchased is not vintage, though it's a pretty nice replica. Notice the Pro KM tag: Boston 02111. ZIP codes were not introduced until 1963.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Fan View Post
                        The cap you purchased is not vintage, though it's a pretty nice replica. Notice the Pro KM tag: Boston 02111. ZIP codes were not introduced until 1963.
                        Great catch Bitter Fan! I never noticed that and sure can't argue it.

Ralph, It's a great cap which I will now describe as a replica of a vintage cap manufactured by the original cap maker. Though it's a size too big I found some cap sizers on the web which allow me to wear it. Most people do ask if it's an old Mets cap.

A thought....I think something went out of baseball when product licensing came in. It seems to me that quality and workmanship suffered when names like Spalding, MacGregor, McAulliffe, Wilson et al. no longer sold to individual teams. Maybe I'm just getting old but I still prefer the uniform look of the Fifties and Sixties to the skin tight or very baggy pants to ankles look of today. In my mind polyester will never replace well made wool caps and light weight wool flannel uniforms. But that's just me.
                        RCL

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                          We all want it to be the way it was when we were children... unless, of course, you're Bing Crosby's kid. :-)
                          LOL

Comment

Got my Giants cap and my co worker Milwaukee Braves.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The end of the Cooperstown Ballcap Company???

I have just received the following email from the Cooperstown Ballcap Company:

"After Twenty Years of Making Quality Reproduction Historic Baseball Caps, The Great Cooperstown Ball Cap Co is obliged, by the retirement of our head of production, Susan Whitmore, by impending legal actions and by the sheer difficulty of custom making one-of–a-kind ball caps, to alter the way we go about things.
                              Until the end of 2009 we will continue to make caps from our current on-line catalog in the way we always have. CBC will fill holiday orders as we do usually and complete all orders within the accustomed time frame.
                              From January 1, 2010 to July 1, 2010 as a service to our esteemed customers, we will make 20 caps per week as custom orders. However, these caps will be offered only in the unconstructed traditional style and carry no logo after 1960. There will be changes to the way we list our caps as well.
                              Also beginning Jan 1, we will offer an increasing variety of stock caps. These caps will be available at $36 from a menu similar to our Caps on Sale, arranged by size and maintain the same quality of production and materials for which Cooperstown Ball Cap Co is famous.
                              We understand that change is disruptive and CBC will do all we can to fill your ball cap needs during this change over."

It looks as if they are trying their best to stay afloat but, it also looks like the day of ordering a custom cap from these folks is coming to an end. Sad!
                              Last edited by [email protected]; 11-23-2009, 05:05 PM.
                              RCL

Comment

Looks to me like they are gettin a lawsuit thrown at them by MLB, and the settlement is they don't go modern.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X