No announcement yet.

Cooperstown Cap Company New York Giants Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the only cap shown that is a real one.

I am astonished that the memorabilia manufacturers can't reproduce it. The other caps shown are inferior imitations.

Comment

Originally posted by jpw67 View Post
      Hello,

I recently purchased an older Roman Pro 1954 NY Giants cap on ebay. Nice cap, but the cap is old enough (made late 80's / early 90's) that the white vinyl rim around the leather band has cracked in one location. Anyone seen this situation before? Can I /Should I try to fix it? Otherwise great cap...
      I've had that happen to that version of Roman cap. While I like the idea of the leather sweatband, the Roman version is too tight, and stiff compared to the Cooperstown ballcap version. My Giants cap cracked in several places, it seems sweat, and water when dried up tend to crack that white band often. Just gotta deal with it, and expect more cracks as time goes by. Sorry.
      unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
      unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
      unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Thanks for the feedback regarding my Roman Pro Giants cap. I also have the Cooperstown leather band version and like that too, and agree it fits better, but it's hard to deny that Roman appear to have a monopoly on getting the logo embroidery 'right'.

Comment

Best I've seen, Ralph, and I'm a 13 year customer of Cooperstown Ballcap Co. before they went belly-up.

I would agree with you that CBC did a good job with the '51 Giants cap and perhaps a few others of particular interest to the ownership there, but their treatment of the Chicago teams, as an example, bordered on the criminal. Their inability to get any of the 40's-50's Dodgers caps right (color, embroidery) is another example. CBC also never seemed to be able to provide any repeatable level of product - I'd get one cap I loved, be inspired to buy another, and be totally disappointed with the next hat (fit was wrong, cotton band when I ordered leather, lightweight wool one time, heavy another, etc. I ordered 3 final hats last December when I learned they were going under, and true to form ended up with an '82 Braves road cap when I ordered an '82 home cap.) As a long time customer my postmortem on CBC is that they really needed to simplify: scale back the offerings (semi-pro, prison leagues, etc.) and do the basic research required to get the handful of caps they should have been offering 'right'.

Having said all of that I did find CBC more than willing to correct issues when pointed out to them, but if you're laying down what amounts to $50 per cap you'd expect them to get it right more often than not the first time. For consistent quality and accuracy of the embroidery I'll take Roman any day. Frankly, I can't wait to see who gets the license next and what we get out of them.

Comment

Can we see a picture of this cap?

Comment

Best I've seen, Ralph, and I'm a 13 year customer of Cooperstown Ballcap Co. before they went belly-up.

I would agree with you that CBC did a good job with the '51 Giants cap and perhaps a few others of particular interest to the ownership there, but their treatment of the Chicago teams, as an example, bordered on the criminal. Their inability to get any of the 40's-50's Dodgers caps right (color, embroidery) is another example. CBC also never seemed to be able to provide any repeatable level of product - I'd get one cap I loved, be inspired to buy another, and be totally disappointed with the next hat (fit was wrong, cotton band when I ordered leather, lightweight wool one time, heavy another, etc. I ordered 3 final hats last December when I learned they were going under, and true to form ended up with an '82 Braves road cap when I ordered an '82 home cap.) As a long time customer my postmortem on CBC is that they really needed to simplify: scale back the offerings (semi-pro, prison leagues, etc.) and do the basic research required to get the handful of caps they should have been offering 'right'.

Having said all of that I did find CBC more than willing to correct issues when pointed out to them, but if you're laying down what amounts to $50 per cap you'd expect them to get it right more often than not the first time. For consistent quality and accuracy of the embroidery I'll take Roman any day. Frankly, I can't wait to see who gets the license next and what we get out of them.
              American Needle and New Era are the current license holders on the Cooperstown Collection "Game" Caps, and Banner 47 makes those soft crown replicas. I like the fit of American Needle, but the caps designs oft times stink, just take a look at the 1955 Dodgers Cap. The B is too big, and stylistically off, and they use the current raised embroidery which wasn't used until 1997. The 1949 NYG cap has the logo the right size, and is just a bit off on the design, but is also raised embroidered. They leave a lot wanting, except for the fit, which I like.
              Last edited by theAmazingMet; 08-21-2010, 01:39 PM.
              unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
              unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
              unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

I got one of the Dodgers custom caps that we worked with CBC on but I never got the NYG cap I ordered from them. Alas.

*sigh*

Comment

Yeah, sure. Let me figure out how to get an image up here...

Comment

Roman Pro 1950's NY Giants cap

I bought this cap on ebay and these are photos from the guy selling the cap. I'll try to take a few photos and upload those at some point.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Roman Pro Lineup - circa late 80's-early 90's

For those interested, this is the Roman Lineup, pre 1994 strike. I'd give a body part to have all four of these Giants caps in 'new' condition...
                      Attached Files

Comment

For those interested, this is the Roman Lineup, pre 1994 strike. I'd give a body part to have all four of these Giants caps in 'new' condition...
                        It amazes me that their designers paid so little attention to reality. The "modern" NYG cap has an emblem that is too narrow. Most of the St. L emblems are quite inaccurate. Most odd - the 1938 Dodger emblem is correct, but see how they have used a Red Sox emblem for subsequent years.

Replicas ought to be acurate, inside and out, especially considering the prices that are charged. The Hall of Fame in Cooperstown contains numerous examples of reality, but markets crap.

Comment

Oddly enough if there is an inaccuracy in the Dodger lineup it is in calling the classic blue cap the '1939 - 1957' model when in fact the logo changed over time during this period. The logo shown is in fact pretty accurate for years 1956-1957 (I'll refer you to any of a number of Dodger posts where this topic is covered ad nauseum. I've borrowed a couple of 1955 photos from that thread for use as an example.)

There is a similar issue apparent with the Giants caps as the logo here changed over the period 1949-1957: the logo for the late 40's Giants cap was essentially that shown for the 1920's cap rendered in orange on a black cap. We didn't get the 'Met-like' logo until sometime in the early-mid 50's.

Regarding some of the other offerings, Roman is one of the few hat makers who got the 1950's Chicago White Sox cap correct and this is one, incidentally, that CBC could never get right.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by jpw67; 08-23-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Here's a photo of Leo circa late 40's in the earlier version of the orange on black cap (apologies for the image size).
                            Attached Files

Comment

One more of Sal Maglie circa 1956. This is a much better shot of the '56-'57 cap as it actually shows the cut-out along the spine of the B. This looks pretty darn close to the Roman cap to my eyes.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Seeing as CBC is out of business, I have to peruse eBay for a NYG cap. Which one of these two is more accurate to the CBC/real version?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X