Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooperstown Cap Company New York Giants Caps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
    Logo is a Met one, not the NY on my avatar that was the NY in the 50's. Your cap is, however, relatively well made and replete with thicker wool than Cooperstown Cap Co. now uses. Most importantly, how do you like it?
    This cap is the real McCoy. The cap sold at auction is a cheap fraud.

    Comment


    • #77
      Hey, I've got a mint CBC 1951 Giants cap ordered just before they want under (size 7 1/2, made with thicker wool) that I'll gladly trade straight up for anyone out there sitting on a good condition Roman version - same size 7 1/2. Show me your photos and I'll show you mine...

      Comment


      • #78
        I give CBC a hard time but...

        I had been a CBC customer for over 12 years at time of their demise. Over a period of time you tend to accumulate a few hats (you also tend to see quality vary, as well as material and color selections).

        Despite my penchant for whining about their quality and lack of attention to research, I did feel good enough about CBC to continue buying hats - frankly, where else were you going to go for some of these? I wanted to take a few minutes today to upload pix for a handful of my CBC hats.

        First pic is my NY National League collection:

        1) 1949 Brooklyn Dodgers,
        2) 1951 NY Giants,
        3) 1962 NY Mets.

        The Dodger caps seemed to be quite controversial at CBC in the end days as it seemed they were getting beaten up left and right over both color and logos. I actually did have the CBC 1955 Dodger cap at one point in time, but ultimately returned it because I felt the color was far too dark. I also bought the 1982 NY Mets cap from CBC and this had a lot of potential, but the quality of embroidery was just terrible - the two halves of the N did not mate up for example. I now regret returning these, but, cest la vie.

        Second pic is my collection of CBC caps for my hometown Asheville Tourists.

        1) 1915
        2) 1937
        3) 1959
        4) 1968
        5) 1972.

        CBC was unique in that they actually did offer a good selection of minor league caps in addition to the usual major league caps. A few of the caps here were even special requests that I had Will make up for me over the course of 2008-2009.

        I also have a good selection of Chicago, Detroit, and Atlanta caps, as well as the 1958 'prototype' SF Giants cap.

        APOLOGIES FOR THE SIZE OF THESE IMAGES.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jpw67; 08-29-2010, 01:23 PM.

        Comment


        • #79
          I bought the "navy" one because I needed to spend some money on my non-primary bank account or it would have closed

          As a quick aside, how is this so cheap? Scam?

          http://www.gucciorsneakers.com/MLB-J...ll-Jersey.html

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by JOVE23 View Post
            I bought the "navy" one because I needed to spend some money on my non-primary bank account or it would have closed

            As a quick aside, how is this so cheap? Scam?

            http://www.gucciorsneakers.com/MLB-J...ll-Jersey.html
            Its a cheap chinese knock-off, the kind you find on ebay. I bought a Reyes "authentic" off ebay from china, and it was cheaply made, and fell apart after a couple of washes. Do yourself a favor, save up, and buy the real deal, it won't let you down. I own a 1951 Mays (New York) Road, a 1945 Camilli (Brooklyn) Road, 1955 Robinson (Brooklyn) Road, 1969 Seaver (Mets) Home, and a 1986 Hernandez (Mets) Home. The Mays, and Robinson I got on ebay, from reputable sellers (always check item location, and feedback) Little hint, when a seller has only one of these type of jerseys for sale, they are usually legit. When they have multiple throwbacks all at a cheap starting bid, especially with a cheap "buy it now", they are usually knock-offs. Most true sellers of the real deal would set a buy it now for a M&N around $100. If the price seems too good to be true...it usually is. Having said all that I got the Mays for $125 after a bidding war, and the Robinson I got for $90, which was the starting bid (got lucky no one else noticed it). I got the Camilli, and the Seaver from Onlinesports.com, they are always having sales. The Hernandez I got when CBSsports.com had a sale. I love these jerseys, and they last forever, but I wouldn't pay the $300 most places want. A little pricing around, and watch the sales, and you should get that Mays 51 Home for around $200, if you get lucky and find the real deal on ebay, maybe you can snag it for around $100 provided no one starts a bidding war. Happy hunting!
            unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
            unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
            unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
              Its a cheap chinese knock-off, the kind you find on ebay. I bought a Reyes "authentic" off ebay from china, and it was cheaply made, and fell apart after a couple of washes. Do yourself a favor, save up, and buy the real deal, it won't let you down. I own a 1951 Mays (New York) Road, a 1945 Camilli (Brooklyn) Road, 1955 Robinson (Brooklyn) Road, 1969 Seaver (Mets) Home, and a 1986 Hernandez (Mets) Home. The Mays, and Robinson I got on ebay, from reputable sellers (always check item location, and feedback) Little hint, when a seller has only one of these type of jerseys for sale, they are usually legit. When they have multiple throwbacks all at a cheap starting bid, especially with a cheap "buy it now", they are usually knock-offs. Most true sellers of the real deal would set a buy it now for a M&N around $100. If the price seems too good to be true...it usually is. Having said all that I got the Mays for $125 after a bidding war, and the Robinson I got for $90, which was the starting bid (got lucky no one else noticed it). I got the Camilli, and the Seaver from Onlinesports.com, they are always having sales. The Hernandez I got when CBSsports.com had a sale. I love these jerseys, and they last forever, but I wouldn't pay the $300 most places want. A little pricing around, and watch the sales, and you should get that Mays 51 Home for around $200, if you get lucky and find the real deal on ebay, maybe you can snag it for around $100 provided no one starts a bidding war. Happy hunting!
              Oh yeah, I know not to touch that with a 10 foot pole. There's a Mays 51 home for $200 OBO on ebay right now, I might wait a few more days for the anxiety to build and low ball him at $100 and see what happens.

              Comment


              • #82
                Thanks for showing us your caps, jpw. Can you show me the 1958 SF Giants prototype with the Seals logo when you get a chance? Being from SF, I had a special interest in that one and had CBC not closed, that would have been my second cap.

                Have to say I am not a fan of the Met cap. The blue seems way too dark (though I admit many color photos of this time make their take look more accurate) and unlike many examples, we have an absolutely perfect bang on contemporary photo of that cap which should make replicating it a breeze - Casey Stengel's 1962 Sports Illustrated Cover.



                Not even close, and it frustrates me that their NY Giant design would have been perfect for the Mets, when they went off somewhere different. Even the 1969 Met design, which is considerably more compact and closer to today's Met design, is much different:

                Comment


                • #83
                  I hear you regarding the Mets cap. If you buy in to the fact that the 'final' NY Giants logo became the 'first' Mets logo I'm not sure how you end up with what they had for the '62 cap.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by jpw67 View Post
                    I hear you regarding the Mets cap. If you buy in to the fact that the 'final' NY Giants logo became the 'first' Mets logo I'm not sure how you end up with what they had for the '62 cap.
                    Not even close.
                    ---
                    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
                    Visit my blogsigpic

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      The late 60s Met logo looks like a mid-to-late 50s Giants logo, as you see on the cover of the Willie Mays biography.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Here's that CBC 1958 'prototype' SF Giants cap you requested.

                        I used to think this hat was a total fiction of Topps, but I actually have a photo of Bill Rigney sitting in the manager's office in Seals Stadium circa 1958 wearing this cap. Thought it might be possible he simply picked up an old Seals cap for benefit of the photo, but the colors aren't right.

                        If I can find time to scan that I'll upload it too.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Hello Gentlemen,

                          what do think of this cap? Is it (more or less) historically accurate? I have a feeling that the logo is a bit too bold. It is not from Cooperstown Cap Company, but I'm looking for an adequate alternate.

                          http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.js...452831.2808351

                          Greetings from Germany
                          Greetings from Germany

                          Comment

                          Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X