The Echoing Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Echoing Green

Just bought this book today by Joshua Prager. Havent opened it yet. Is it as good as advertised?
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

I didn't finish the entire book, but I remember it being a very good, well-researched read. Comprehensive, even.

Comment

Some of Prager's prose is difficult to follow. There were times that I have to read a passage 3 or 4 times to understand what he was saying.

Comment

"The Echoing Green" is in my top ten baseball books of all time. EXCELLENT book. Zig--I'm shocked you haven't read this book at least three times. Seriously.
        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
        http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Another benefit of the book is that it has got interviews with a couple of guys who are no longer with us, specifically Sal Yvars and Herm Franks, two of the key men behind the sign-stealing.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the imput, I'm looking foward to reading it, just after I finish "Boys of Winter", "Game of My Life: NY Giants" and "Few and Chosen Mets" I always read more than one book at a time!

Comment

This is an excellent book. I was not yet born but it makes you feel like you were actually there. I would rate this as one of my top five books. In fact, I have gotten the cover signed by the main man himself Bobby Thomson and the author has signed the inside cover for me. I have a confession about this book. I was having some major stomach issues and I was scheduled for a colonoscopy. On the day that I was to begin the "cleansing process" I purchased that book because I knew that I would be spending quite a bit of time in the bathroom. I actually enjoyed my time in the bathroom because I enjoyed reading that book so much. The whole event raced by because I was so engrossed with that book. By the way, the book "Miracle Ball" is also an excellent read on what is truly one of the greatest moments in baseball history.
              Last edited by icee82; 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM.

Comment

i've read the first 25 pages and I'm hooked. What a beautiful picture this book paints, and Schenz I never heard of him before this book. Very Interesting!

Comment

It's a really, really good book. Of course, it's also interesting to read My Giants by Russ Hodges because he talks about it from his perspective.

Comment

Thomson absolutely owned Branca that year and Branca was known to give up the gopher ball anyway.

Certainly one of the more befuddling managerial decisions ever. Even if you didn't manage with a stat sheet near you, you'd think you'd REMEMBER.

Then again we're talking about a manager who didn't know the plural of is and let his wife talk him out of the Dodger job.

Comment

Campy wasn't playing in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                        Campy wasn't playing in that game.
                        That's why Zig stated: "bring in Campy".........................
                        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                        http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

That the Giants were stealing signs is irrefutable. There are even pictures of the hole cut into the wire mesh protecting the clubhouse windows so the telescope could have an unobstructed view of the catchers signs. The particular piece used gave the viewer an image of the catchers fingers clearer, and closer than the pitcher standing 60'6" away! Wether or not Thomson used the sign, is subject to dispute. There is some debate as to if the stealing of signs may have actually hurt the Giants as their team .BA actually dropped in the second half of 1951! Sometimes it's better not to know as Monte Irvin told Leo Durocher, much to Leo's chagrin

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Fan View Post
                            Thomson absolutely owned Branca that year and Branca was known to give up the gopher ball anyway.

Certainly one of the more befuddling managerial decisions ever. Even if you didn't manage with a stat sheet near you, you'd think you'd REMEMBER.

Then again we're talking about a manager who didn't know the plural of is and let his wife talk him out of the Dodger job.
                            I think he used to tell the boys when the chips were down, "hold 'em! I'll think of something!" What a character.

Comment

Will have to pick this one up, just got this lot off the bay

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X