No announcement yet.

The Echoing Green

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was bugging me... so I looked it up. T.E.G. Page 28.

The fourteen windows, one of which through the telescope was used by Herman Franks...

Far left window - visitors clubhouse
    The next SIX - ending right above the 483 marker - Leo Durocher's office
    All seven to to the right of the 483 ft marker, Giants Player Lounge.

The entire Giant Clubhouse, and a huge majority of the visitors clubhouse, was in the rear of the structure, meaning away from home plate, closer to the street/parking/exterior or East side of the 60 by 60 clubhouse. Giants players, including Al Corwin who bcame a Giant the very day the sign stealing scheme was hatched/discussed entered the clubhouse directly from the exterior of the Polo Grounds. Showers and bathrooms were upstairs. Owner offices, ticket managers offices and other team officials were also upstairs. So, I believe four rooms made up the entire floor where the famous "windows" faced west. Durocher's office and the player lounge closest to the field, and the two clubhouses. There was also a storage area in the lounge. Hats, balls, gear, etc.

The fourteen windows were eleven feet above the field, and in play. Wire mesh covered them, although no batted ball ever struck the clubhouse. Wire cutters were used to cut the mesh from what appeared to be approximately a 6 inch by 6 inch (my guess) hole in the mesh of the fourth window from the left, or the third from the left of the six windows in Durocher's office. The mesh appears to be sturdy, not flexible at all. The hole can be seen clearly in the team photo, taken ONE DAY before Thomson's homer. The photo is Part of the first set of photos, placed between page 84 and 85 in my book.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Here is an image of Giants Clubhoue Manager Eddie Logan in an empty clubhouse after the Giants moved to San Fran. The image itself is pretty sad... but I would like to draw attention to the ceiling. Most definitely bleachers/steps.

"Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

If you got any closer than this... you would need to have your eye in the telescope or perhaps sitting on Herman Franks' lap!

Comment

At least two people watching "The Catch" from the Giants Players Lounge windows....

Comment

The one looking out at the far left window was Joe Garagiola. The Giants had picked him up for extra catching help, but it was after September 1st and he was ineligible for the World Series.

Don't know who the one on the right is, however. Maybe Eddie Logan, the clubhouse manager, but that's simply a guess.

Comment

Never knew that was Garagiola! Good stuff....

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X