Bobby's gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby's gone

Just heard the sad news that Bobby Thomson passed away last night. I know he will live in all of our hearts as long as they are beating. Here's a link to a quick NY Daily News piece on his passing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...g_illness.html

RIP Bobby, you were always a class act!

I watched him play for the RED SOX when I lived in New England in the early 60's he will be missed

Comment

I saw it on ESPN and had to come here. Please share your favorite Boby Thompson memory (other than the obvious Shot Heard Round The World) for those of us who weren't around

Comment

The only baseball player in the Scottish Sports Hall of Fame.

Comment

Sad day for NY Giants fans.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Thanks for a lifelong great memory. RIP.
            San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

Ralph Branca on the Chris "Mad Dog" Russo XM radio show

The Dog had a scoop by getting Branca on around 4pm. Ralph was very courteous and respectful about Bobby the person, but he did come off a little brash about the Home run. He is now blaming it all on Thomson and the Giants stealing signs. The conversation went something like the following, and I was disappointed that Russo did not ask some of the questions that popped into my mind. So paraphrasing:
              Branca: "After the Wall St Journal broke the story, I called Bobby and said I feel vindicated. Bobby did not argue, but he seemed to know what I meant. After all, Chris, Sal Yvars admitted they had the signs. So the first pitch I threw right down the plate, and the Giants on the bench were yelling at Bobby that he should not have taken the pitch. Then he hits the second pitch. Christopher, anyone including you, could have hit the first pitch out ...well really you couldn't, but everyone else could".

Russo should have asked:
              1) why was the first pitch grooved right down the middle. What if Thomson hit that one out?
              2) after the Giants were yelling from the bench about Thomson taking that first pitch, why did Thomson groove the second pitch. He was ahead in the count and had first base open. Mays was on deck, ready to literally puke (admitted praying "Dear God, let Bobby end it one way or another")
              3) did Thomson have the signs in game one at Ebbets Field when he hit a two run HR off......Ralph Branca? Did the Giants have someone out on Bedford Ave with a telescope relaying signs to Thomson?
              4)Did it ever occur to Branca that the game one HR was still in his mind when he was grooving TWO pitches right down the pipe?
              5)many hitters in MLB have stated that they do not want the signs. It is too risky in case they are wrong.

I just hope Branca will just leave it alone and stop playing the victim !
              Last edited by mandrake; 08-17-2010, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                Bobby is dead, and Branca is still talking about sign stealing. What a scumbag!! Strong message to follow.
                Very disappointed in Russo, who always claims what a huge Giants fan he is. I would love to hear Branca give answers to my questions.
                I was just checking the 1951 box scores from each of the Giants - Dodgers games that season, and it seems Branca gave up his fair share of HRS at Ebbets and the Polo Grounds.

History will show Thomson hits a 2 run HR to beat Branca in game one at Ebbets. And he hits a 3 run HR at the Polo Grounds in game three off Branca. No revisionist history here !

I have sent a message to Chris Russo. Hope he will reply !

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/team...p?y=1951&t=NY1
                Last edited by mandrake; 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

RIP to a true NY sports legend!
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
                  unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
                  unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

Bobby Thomson was my baseball hero, and I am sorry to learn of his death. He was a graceful centerfielder and a terrific runner. I believe he beat a West Point track star in a sprint while in full baseball uniform at one of the Giants' annual sessions at the USMA.

I thought he was a decent man, and was thrilled by both of his home runs in the 1951 playoff. His third base play was satisfactory, to be sure, but he could hit when it counted, and carried his fame modestly and very well.

Comment

As humble as you can get

I did not know Bobby Thomson, but know some people who did, especially in the last 15 years.

By all accounts from them, he was a humble man, who led a simple life after baseball, and was always appreciative of his good fortune on the diamond and thereafter.

He was always of good cheer, and came back to his roots often to help with various charities.

The world does not have enough good men like him.

May he rest in peace with his God.
                      Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                        Bobby is dead, and Branca is still talking about sign stealing. What a scumbag!! Strong message to follow.
                        I was not going to bring this up on this particular day but yes, I heard Branca on the radio and as I had mentioned once before, I met him at a wedding a few years back. He comes across as a small, bitter man. He didn't even have enough class in him to respectfully not mention his stupid sign crusade on the day of Thomson's death. What a classless jackass.

Comment

I still have a letter saved on my computer that I wrote to Bobby Thomson over two years ago. I wanted to tell him how much I enjoyed reading "The Echoing Green" and had admired him for being such a class act, and how he had been my baseball hero since I was a kid. I wanted to send him some photos to sign and I was even going to include a blank check for him to fill out whatever amount that he thought was fair for signing.

But I never mailed it.

I figured that some heroes are best left up there on a pedestal where they can do no wrong.

Comment

Well I hate to sound like I am taking sides but if you were in Ralph Branca's shoes and you have had your life essentially defined as being the guy who gave up the most famous walk-off home run in baseball history wouldn't you be bitter if you found out the opposing team was stealing signs? I understand not speaking ill of the dead and moving on, but if you had to live with it for 58 years you wouldn't you be bitter about it?

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
                              Well I hate to sound like I am taking sides but if you were in Ralph Branca's shoes and you have had your life essentially defined as being the guy who gave up the most famous walk-off home run in baseball history wouldn't you be bitter if you found out the opposing team was stealing signs? I understand not speaking ill of the dead and moving on, but if you had to live with it for 58 years you wouldn't you be bitter about it?
                              aqib, I am taking sides here. Branca gave up regular season homers to Thomson too. And of course, Thomson hit a two run HR in game one of the playoff, off Ralph Branca, at Ebbets field to win the game 3-1. How does Branca explain that one?

I also do not understand him admitting the first pitch was grooved right down the middle and Thomson took it. If Thomson knew it in advance, why didn't he hit the first pitch into the LF upper deck? He did have 32 hr and 101 rbi and bat .293. (We are not talking Bucky Dent here).

Branca has made tons of money off that gopher ball. All of his fame has come off that pitch. If he somehow got out of the inning, nobody remembers him.

(Quick, in the 1951 WS which NYY pitcher got he last NYG batter out to win the WS? Even if you come up with it, you get the point. Ironically, Thomson came up in the WS game 6 with the score 4-2 and runners on second and third and lined out)

You can't buy class. Thomson had it, Branca doesn't.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X