So NY GIants Fans are you rooting for the SF Giants in the World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So NY GIants Fans are you rooting for the SF Giants in the World Series

Just curious how those who were Giants fans in New York are going to approach this series. Are you all hoping for the Curse of the Polo GRounds to continue?

You bet your sweet behind, I'm rooting for my Giants. No WS Championships after 1954--not a one in SF--it's time for the left coasters to experience the joy of a championship by our Giants. I still hate Stoneham beyond words, but facts are facts: if you're a Giant fan you didn't turn on the team because some scumbag thief stole your team and moved it 3000 miles, especially when TV can provide such a rich experience. Besides, I'm living in South Beach now--doesn't stop me from rabid rooting for the Yanks and Giants. I HATE the f#*%ing Marlins, because their ownership is Stonehamesque: a bunch of extortionists! I will only go to the ballpark in Miami to see my Giants. I've gone to Tampa quite a few times to see the Yanks--in spring training as well as the regular season. My National League allegiance is still to the Giants and it always will be. I'm not too crazy about the Mets--most of their fans were inherited from the Dodger base, and they have the same nostalgia for futility and failure that the Dodger fans did--it's in their DNA. Some Giant fans became Yankee rooters--half of my Yankee Stadium, Section 11, season ticket co-holders/rooters were Giant fans too, or the children of Giant fans--but still had a pang in the heart for the orange & black. I imagine that it was geography also--it wasn't as geographically convenient to go to Brooklyn for a fan of National League baseball if you lived in the Bronx, northern Manhattan, Jersey, or Westchester, and this held true after 1957 to 1962. After the Mets were born, the hard core National Leaguers had a new love in the Polo Grounds. I'll admit to my enjoyment in watching the Mets, but I'm not as passionate about them as I am about the Yanks and Jints. As for the curse: Mrs. McGraw can kiss my patootie, or that of the Cubbies' goat!
    Last edited by DixieYank; 10-28-2010, 08:43 AM. Reason: Agreed with subsequent comment by Mays24us.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
      Just curious how those who were Giants fans in New York are going to approach this series. Are you all hoping for the Curse of the Polo GRounds to continue?
      I for one will be rooting hard even though I have evolved into a Mets fan over the years. I rooted in "02 but with Bonds on that team, my heart really wasn't in it. This is such an easy team to like that along with that Home Uniform embedded in my brain, I will not be a casual rooter but rather an ardent one. I only wish we could have avenged the '62 Series by beating the Yankees for the sake of Mays and McCovey et al.

Comment

Originally posted by DixieYank View Post
        ...... I'm not too crazy about the Mets--most of their fans were inherited from the Dodger base, and they have the same nostalgia for futility and failure that the Dodger fans did--it's in their DNA. Most Giant fans became Yankee rooters, but still have a pang in the heart for the orange & black. As for the curse: Mrs. McGraw can kiss my patootie, or that of the Cubbies' goat!
        I still live in NY.....and I don't know of any ol Giant fans who became Yankee fans.....the ones I meet at Shea and now Citi Field either root for the Mets or have remained Giant fans....some like me straddle the fence at times but Yankees???? Never. An old New York National League fan would never root for the Yankees. I do agree with you about the Wilpon Dodger ties which annoys me no end but remember, the Mets first owner was Mrs. Payson, a former minority owner of the Giants and M.D. Grant cast the only "nay" vote in her behalf on the move to SF. Also keep in mind, the Orange in the Met uni (and somewhat distorted cap insignia) is in honor of the Giants. Screw the Yankees.

Comment

The Mets should replace the current black caps with the black and orange Giants hats with the interlocking NY on the road. Keep the blue hats at home.
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

This is probably a good place to put Filip Bondy's rather uninformed article for discussion and ridicule by Bitter Fan.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...e_of_mind.html

I guess I'll do a laundry list.

1) C'mon dude, you're suggesting a curse? And you want the Giants to let you in to look at the monument when you live 20 miles away? Buy a ticket.

2) Peter Magowan, native New Yorker and pre-move Giants fan, blew you off? The Peter Magowan who had the Giants wear stuff like this?

Not buying it. Sorry.

3) The plaque is in a corner somewhat, but it's a corner right in front of the right field gate with Lefty O'Doul's Japanese Hall of Fame plaque. It does get seen by people.

4) The Giants have added stuff over the years, so I can't get too mad at the late Vic Ziegel, and I recognize for many people the hurt doesn't go away. But Bondy is trying to say the Giants do not remember their New York years in their new home. That's just not true. Check out my photos from last year. It's not a case of how could you think this team ever played in New York, but how could you not.

Lastly, a friend of mine in New York is getting stopped by people constantly during the playoffs saying they're rooting for the Giants because they/their parents/their grandparents were Giants fans, which is pretty cool.

Comment

Definitely, RAISED a GIANT FAN by my dad who is alive and also still roots for Giants, I was born 6 weeks after their last WS win in 54 and always think that I'm the jinx so I'm hoping that this is FINALLY their year and my dad can enjoy one more NY/SF Giants championship before he departs to the BIG POLO GROUNDS IN THE SKY!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X