Former Giants shortstop Rudy Rufer passes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Giants shortstop Rudy Rufer passes away

RUFER - Rudolf "Rudy" on October, 25, 2010. Born on October 28, 1926 in Ridgewood, Queens, he graduated from Aviation High School. He attended Dartmouth College, the University of Oklahoma, and spent time in the Navy. A longtime Malverne resident, he spent most of his life in professional baseball, as a shortstop playing for the New York Giants from 1949-1951, and scouting for the Los Angeles Dodgers for 25 years. Loving husband of Margaret (Peggy). Beloved father of Maureen McNelis (Bob Lewis), Joseph (Antonia), Peggy Gartland (Bob), Michael (Stella), Rudy (Judy), Teresa Davis (Steve), and Scott (Eileen). Cherished grandfather of Kelly McNelis (Yom Senagor), Monica Noone (Kevin), Erin Royce (Brian), Rebecca Rufer, Diana Gartland, Dorin Rufer, Bob Gartland Jr., Christopher Rufer, Devin Lewis, Scott Rufer, Emily Davis and Rachel Lewis, as well as great-grandfather of Ryan Teasell, Jack Teasell, Sophie Teasell, Liam Noone, Lillian Noone, Reilly Royce, and Ashlyn oone. Family will receive friends Wednesday 7-9pm & Thursday 2-4 & 7-9pm at the Flinch & Bruns Funeral Home, Inc. 34 Hempstead Ave. (corner Peninsula Blvd), Lynbrook. Funeral Mass Friday 9:45am Our Lady of Lourdes R.C. Church, Malverne. Interment Calverton National Cemetery, Calverton. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Our Lady of Lourdes School, 65 Wright Ave., Malverne, NY 11565.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/new...4718&fhid=5045

Sadly, I always feel like the grim reaper holding a scythe when I do this, but the passings of Rudy Rufer and Valmy Thomas within the past few weeks leaves us with only thirty-eight men still living who played for the Giants at the Polo Grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by chinese home run View Post
      Sadly, I always feel like the grim reaper holding a scythe when I do this, but the passings of Rudy Rufer and Valmy Thomas within the past few weeks leaves us with only thirty-eight men still living who played for the Giants at the Polo Grounds.

Wow, I'm amazed the number is that low.

Can you share the list with us.

Comment

Originally posted by ribant View Post

Well, sadly, now it's down to thirty-seven with Artie Wilson's passing.

I shall, but give me a day or so to update it. Tonight is a celebration for us Giants' fans.

And somehow, somewhere, Toots Shor is serving Horace Stoneham and Dusty Rhodes highballs. And they're all smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by ribant View Post

Check the post "Our Alumni"- I just updated it a few minutes ago.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X