Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10/3/51 attendance: how can this be right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gotham
    Shouldn't Shotgun be on the Dodger site. He sure has a lot of opinions.

It does seem that there were few seats to be had that day. Who caught that HR anyway? Is the ball in the Hall o' Fame?
    I don't know who caught it, but I bought it, and that ball isn't going to the Hall. It's going to be destroyed at the 50th Reunion Anniversary in October.

Comment

Are you serious? Please elaborate.

Comment

10-3-1951

Are you serious? Please elaborate.
        He is joking. the ball was caught by a young black boy and they say that he ran away after that. nobody has seen the ball since then. i heard BOB COSTAS say that a while back on a radio show.
        LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
          He is joking. the ball was caught by a young black boy and they say that he ran away after that. nobody has seen the ball since then. i heard BOB COSTAS say that a while back on a radio show.
          Yes, that young African American sold me the ball. The world will see it for the final time when we destroy it.

Comment

10-3-1951

Originally posted by donzblock
            Yes, that young African American sold me the ball. The world will see it for the final time when we destroy it.
            You are full of it

Comment

Wow. I would never destroy that ball. I'll give you two dollars for it, American.

Comment

10-3-1951

Wow. I would never destroy that ball. I'll give you two dollars for it, American.
                Dont pay no attention to him, he does not have the baseball. he is pulling everyones leg on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by westsidegrounds
                  All the pictures I've seen make it look like a pretty full house.

The reason there were only a couple hundred people there was that Horace got drunk and ordered the ticket-takers to only admit fans named "Joe", "Elmer", "Blanche", or "Wanda".

A guy told me this once, so it must be true.
                  Knowing Stoneham's reputation and depending on which guy told you it seems plausible. The standing joke amongst Giant fans in the lower box seats by home plate at the Polo Grounds was to entice the beer vendor with "There is a nip in the air tonight." The vendor would reply; "It won't last long Horace will drink it." Toots Shor a personal friend of Horace had a smirk on his face when he heard it one night.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock
                    I don't know who caught it, but I bought it, and that ball isn't going to the Hall. It's going to be destroyed at the 50th Reunion Anniversary in October.

The Professor is absolutely right!

You will have to attend OUR 2005 Grand Celebration to see that ball destroyed!

c.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                      As I recall, in those days, there was always an "official attendance" and an "actual attendance"......the difference being that the "official attendance" was the "paid attendance", while the "actual attendance" included all the free tickets given out for that game.

c.
                      Yes, Deb, correct. The ball park was always full. We know because you and I and many others were part of the "actual" attendance, not the "paid" attendance.

m.
                      Dodger Deb, too!

Comment

[QUOTE=Dodger Deb, too!]Yes, Deb, correct. The ball park was always full. We know because you and I and many others were part of the "actual" attendance, not the "paid" attendance.

Somehow I don't think $toneham and O'$Malley were interested in "actual" attendance.

Comment

[QUOTE=GIANT]
                          Originally posted by Dodger Deb, too!
                          Yes, Deb, correct. The ball park was always full. We know because you and I and many others were part of the "actual" attendance, not the "paid" attendance.

Somehow I don't think $toneham and O'$Malley were interested in "actual" attendance.
                          You are absolutely right, GIANT. However, the question we were attempting to answer (or explain) at the beginning of this thread was the fact that the attendance figure for the 3rd game of the '51 playoffs at the PG was around 34,000, and yet all photos of that day show the PG almost full to capacity. I simply offered the "paid" vs "actual" as an explanation.

c.

Comment

let your own eyes judge the photos:

October 3rd, 1951 (a Wednesday)
                            Bobby Thomson rounding third heading home after "shot".
                            Attached Files
                            Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Comment

prior to start of game on October 3rd, press photographer set up for this shot of some unlucky Brooklyn Dodger fans getting heckled by Giant fans.
                              Attached Files
                              Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Comment

photo from the previous day, October, 2nd... as Jackie Robinson is congratulated after hiting a HR in the first inning.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X