Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10/3/51 attendance: how can this be right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

photo of Giant fans in bleacher seating on October 3rd
    Attached Files
    Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Comment

Willie Mays showing photo of Thomson's "shot"
      Attached Files
      Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Comment

[QUOTE=dreifort]let your own eyes judge the photos:

The photos are great but the view might be a bit more panoramic.

Comment

Those photos are all telling......just as I remember it!

To the naked eye, one can hardly see an empty seat.

Thanks, dreifort!

c.

Comment

Those photos are all telling......just as I remember it!

To the naked eye, one can hardly see an empty seat.

Thanks, dreifort!

True as to the naked eye. However, whether you used the paid attendance number alone or paid number with the freebies the number is still considerably less than the capacity at the Polo Grounds, which was 55,000. An evidentiary showing to substantiate the claim there were no empty seats, if shown, would mean that the attendance number recorded for the game was incorrect. Although the photos are nice, a panonramic view would be better but it too might not be conclusive. I don't believe the naked eye or a remembrance are sufficient to disprove the official number listed for the game.

Comment

didn't kids always find a way to sneak in?

Comment

Sure but not 20,000 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by GIANT
                  Sure but not 20,000 of them.
                  Maybe only 19,000. That day was a school day.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock
                    Maybe only 19,000. That day was a school day.
                    I think it was 19,001, professor! But close enough.

m.
                    Dodger Deb, too!

Comment

Sorry for joining the discussion so late, but I was there that day (I played hooky from my job on Wall Street). The stands were not even remotely filled. My guess is that there were AT LEAST twenty thousand empty seats.

Comment

I should clarify. At the START of the game, the stands were conspicuously free of fans. As the game progressed, more and more arrived. Remember, in those days, if you appeared at the gate by the sixth inning or so, you usually got in free (subject to seat availability). I believe everyone in the city was listening to the game that day and as the drama intensified, hundreds, maybe even thousands, arrived late, some very late.

Comment

Where were you sitting, Musial? Just curious.... what a great game to have attended!!
                          "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan
                            Where were you sitting, Musial? Just curious.... what a great game to have attended!!
                            I was in the upper deck down the right field line. That was my customary perch at the PG. It was a good place to get free balls during BP.

P.S.

I saw Stan play many times at the PG and EF, including his last appearance at the PG on August 8, 1963. The Mets honored him that night. He pinch hit, walked, and was taken out for a pinch runner (Gary Kolb). Stan then trotted out to the clubhouse in CF to a standing ovation. He was the GREATEST.
                            Last edited by musial6; 07-31-2006, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by musial6
                              I saw Stan play many times at the PG and EF........... He was the GREATEST.

No, he was THE MAN. Many people still don't know that it was Dodgers fans who gave him that nickname (Musial hit over .370 in his career at Ebbets Field) and during a particulary torrid stretch early in his career, as he came to bat, there was a murmur in the crowd. As hte late Bob Broeg, legendary writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch told the story, he asked fans about that murmur in the crowd. "Here comes the man," they were saying. Broeg asked "here comes THAT man?" implying that some fans might not have known who Musial was (he had already won MVP's and batting titles by then) and Broeg was shocked that. "No," the reply came.... "Here comes THE man. It stuck.

Thanks for the reply.... I suppose that settles it. The game started with less than a full Polo Grounds. As the gates were thrown open, people filled in the remaining seats. What a great day to go down to the ballpark and catch the last few innings!!!

This practice was still in effect as late as the 1980's in St. Louis. My uncle went down to Busch Stadium late during game 5 of the 1985 NLCS, got in for free, and three or so innings later, Ozzie Smith hit what may be the most improbably Home Run in the history of MLB.
                              "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Some great baseball town, not sold out for the NLCS? Disgraceful. You could fill Shea or The Stadium 3 times over for a game of that magnitude.

Originally posted by StanTheMan
                                No, he was THE MAN. Many people still don't know that it was Dodgers fans who gave him that nickname (Musial hit over .370 in his career at Ebbets Field) and during a particulary torrid stretch early in his career, as he came to bat, there was a murmur in the crowd. As hte late Bob Broeg, legendary writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch told the story, he asked fans about that murmur in the crowd. "Here comes the man," they were saying. Broeg asked "here comes THAT man?" implying that some fans might not have known who Musial was (he had already won MVP's and batting titles by then) and Broeg was shocked that. "No," the reply came.... "Here comes THE man. It stuck.

Thanks for the reply.... I suppose that settles it. The game started with less than a full Polo Grounds. As the gates were thrown open, people filled in the remaining seats. What a great day to go down to the ballpark and catch the last few innings!!!

This practice was still in effect as late as the 1980's in St. Louis. My uncle went down to Busch Stadium late during game 5 of the 1985 NLCS, got in for free, and three or so innings later, Ozzie Smith hit what may be the most improbably Home Run in the history of MLB.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X