Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie Bressoud

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eddie Bressoud

    Today is the birthday of former New York Giant Eddie Bressoud. Bressoud was a shortstop whose arrival in 1956 allowed the Giants to trade Captain Alvin Dark to the Cardinals in a deal for Red Schoendienst. He spent just two of his six Giant seasons as their regular SS, but was successful in three years with the Red Sox because he adapted his swing to Fenway's leftfield wall; he hit 20 HR in 1963. Made expendable by Rico Petrocelli's emergence in 1965, Bressoud concluded his career against the Red Sox as a Cardinal utility man in the 1967 World Series.

  • #2


    The Giants' Eddie Bressoud crossed home plate in one of the early games the team played after moving to San Francisco from New York.



    June 6, 2003,
    Charles Bressoud, the grand-nephew of Eddie Bressoud was drafted by the Braves.
    Last edited by JACKIE42; 05-02-2005, 11:56 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Bressoud as a Met

      I read something recently that astounded me as a Mets fan. Bressoud still owns a share of the club record for homers by a shortstop with 10 (1966). Kevin Elster tied him in 1989. Nobody else has ever reached double digits. But come to think of it, when Bud Harrelson and Rey Ordóñez have been regulars for so many seasons, one has been a good output!

      Comment


      • #4
        "Steady Eddie"

        Comment


        • #5
          Look at "Stretch" in that picture. He looks like a teenager. He would have loved the Polo Grounds. Sigh. RIP Eddie.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Gotham
            Look at "Stretch" in that picture. He looks like a teenager. He would have loved the Polo Grounds. Sigh. RIP Eddie.
            Geez!!! You're right, McCovey completely looks like a baby there!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Eddie Bressoud lives

              Originally posted by Gotham View Post
              Look at "Stretch" in that picture. He looks like a teenager. He would have loved the Polo Grounds. Sigh. RIP Eddie.
              Great photo - but no RIP - Eddie Bressoud still lives in the San Francisco area.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GIANT View Post
                Bressoud was a shortstop whose arrival in 1956 allowed the Giants to trade Captain Alvin Dark to the Cardinals in a deal for Red Schoendienst.
                That trade also sent Whitey Lockman to the Cardinals along with a few other players.
                Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
                  That trade also sent Whitey Lockman to the Cardinals along with a few other players.
                  On June 14, 1956, the Giants traded Alvin Dark, Ray Katt, Don Liddle and Whitey Lockman to the Cardinals for Dick Littlefield, Red Schoendienst, Bill Sarni, Jackie Brandt and a player to be named later. On October 1, 1956 the player to be named later was Gordon Jones.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GIANT View Post
                    On June 14, 1956, the Giants traded Alvin Dark, Ray Katt, Don Liddle and Whitey Lockman to the Cardinals for Dick Littlefield, Red Schoendienst, Bill Sarni, Jackie Brandt and a player to be named later. On October 1, 1956 the player to be named later was Gordon Jones.
                    That's right. I couldn't remember who all was involved. Thanks for posting that.
                    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X