Who Went West?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Went West?

Other than players and Russ Hodges, did the Giants bring any support staff to SF?

I wonder what happened, for example, to the clubhouse people and the head grounds keeper who lived in an apartment behind left field.
    Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Oh, yes, the staff went there virtually intact. Eddie Logan- the clubhouse manager- remained with the club until 1979, as did Head Groundskeeper Matty Schwab. Eddie Brannick, the club's secretary, remained traveling secretary with the club until 1965 or so and was the team's secretary until 1971- a run of 65 years. Trainer "Doc" Bowman was there until 1965 as well; people like ticket manager Pete Hoffman was there for a while, as well as farm director Carl Hubbell and his right hand man Jack Schwarz. Jack was with the club until 1982, a run of close to 50 years.

Comment

Another question re the move.

The Giants kept an office in midtown until at least 1966. Why?

Did Stoneham keep his Polo Grounds office or otherwise return to the park after the final game in 1957?

Did the Giants ever use the park for anything else after the move, other than renting it?
      Still patiently waiting @ at Sullivan & McKeever (once THE corner in MLB) for the Brooks to return from their extended road trip.

Comment

Although I don't know how long the Giants maintained an office in New York, I do know that it was located at 100 West 42nd Street in Manhattan. I believe the Jets may also have used these offices as there midtown ticket office.

The Polo Grounds was used for a number of things following the Giants move. Harry Wismer's Jets (Titans) used it and it was also used for midget auto racing. Stoneham did not own the park so he was not involved with either of these ventures. He may have returned to the park in 1962 & 63 with his visiting San Francisco Giants.
        RCL

Comment

Thanks.

The Dodgers office closed much earlier, and I am puzzled why the Giants hung on with an office.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X