Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polo Grounds and Giants owner Horace Stoneman's seats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polo Grounds and Giants owner Horace Stoneman's seats!

Hello Polo Grounds fans..... I have a question for you. Where can I get stadium views that show the seats? I own the supposedly exact pair of Polo Grounds seats that New York Giants owner Horace Stoneham would sit in when he watched a game in front. They were amongst the first taken out in 1964 by a man (dead now), whose relatives I got them from. They were located just behind the catcher, over his shoulder, the very first row, the two end seats. I have no provenance for them other than this story, so I have to prove they are the real mccoy by comparing them with other seats and photos of that spot. They are a connected pair with a figural "NY" at either end and a third armrest in the center. They have all kinds of relief and impressed factory and company numbers and letters in the metal in back of the seat surface. The top numbers are "1" and "2." In the 2003 "Standard Catalog Of Sports Memorabilia," by Lehman, on page 187, there's a photo of one chair. Mine look like that except there's no "D" shaped hole in the side metal below the seat... Is this pair unique? Were they only used in private boxes? Anybody have any photos that inlcude that spot of the stands?
    Last edited by chairman; 06-08-2005, 03:21 PM. Reason: name spelled wrong

More...

Those relatives weren't exactly sure over which of the catcher's shoulders the seats were behind, and photos of the either side would be interesting, anyway. Actually, I'd like to see photos of ANY seats closeup in the stadium..... The strength of the story was that this person was a die hard fan that went to a zillion games, and he knew where the owner's seats were, having seen him there many times, and purposely went for them when the stadium was demolished.
    Last edited by chairman; 06-08-2005, 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Polo Grounds Seats Photo

Hello here is a photo of some polo grounds seats. maybe this can help.Donald
      Attached Files
      LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Thanks, Donald. Mine are like them; except they are a row of only TWO with the "NY" figural at each end. I wonder how many pairs with 2 figurals there were in the whole stadium? The paint on mine is green, I think. I'm a little color blind, so I'm not certain.. Under the green on the armrest I see some orange. The logos look like orange with black trim.
        Last edited by chairman; 06-09-2005, 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Here are Horace's seats!
          Last edited by chairman; 05-22-2005, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Maybe he marked or signed them somewhere. From the description, they were somewhere between the dugouts against the front wall. I saw a photo and it looks like there were three sections there; and on both sides, there were also a couple seats from the next section on the inside edge of the dugouts. If he sat there, he could talk to the players. If he sat directly in back of the catcher, he could see the pitches.
            Last edited by chairman; 06-08-2005, 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Comment

Here's Horace's seats!

Comment

Polo Grounds Chairs

I attended a game at the Polo Grounds and would love to own chairs from there. Know of any for sale?

Thanks,

William J. Sullivan

Comment

polo grounds seats

Originally posted by William J. Sullivan
                    I attended a game at the Polo Grounds and would love to own chairs from there. Know of any for sale?

Thanks,

William J. Sullivan
                    Hello check on ebay there are some polo grounds seats on ebay, DOANLD

Comment

William, a single figural "NY" chair goes for $3,000.00. A chair without the metal NY figure goes for $800.00. The figures were usually at either end of a long line of chairs. My chairs here are somewhat of a rarity by themselves, being an original pair with the NY figural on either end of only two. There could not have been a lot of pairs in the whole stadium like mine. So I imagine my pair would bring over $6,000. They are all original with no repainting, restoring, or repair........... However! They came with a convincing story, which I totally believe to be true, about this pair being the owner's seats that were later specifically targeted by a fan when they demolished the stadium. If I could prove that to be true by finding old photographs of the spot these were taken from, right in back of the catcher, end of the first row, and successfully compare the chairs in the photos with mine, I am off to Sotheby's. The owner always sat in the same spot right there.... Doesn't anyone out there have an old photo that includes that spot? A foul ball being caught by the catcher or something? A photo of the owner in the stands? A photo showing batters on deck? I'm hoping!
                      Last edited by chairman; 06-08-2005, 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

How about this? Are there any Stoneham relatives, friends, stadium workers, players, broadcasters, or fans still out there with any stories of him in the stands? Is there anything that could help written in books about the Polo Grounds or about him? Even one small sentence could help. How about letters or other correspondence written to or from, or involving him? .... I just had a thought. Old NY Giants programs or yearbooks might have a photo or something for me. Let me know if anyone finds anything. Thanks.
                        Last edited by chairman; 06-08-2005, 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The wear pattern in both the chair backs is similar and interesting, as if whoever sat in them always leaned to his left.

Comment

Sorry I spelled his name wrong. It is Stoneham, not Stoneman. I corrected it in the threads but couldn't in the title.
                            Last edited by chairman; 06-08-2005, 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

polo grounds seats

Hello i looked at my polo grounds seating chart and saw that there were a few areas were there was only 2 seats together in the field level box seat area.and one thing you may want to consider the 2 seats could have also been seats for the owner of the mets joan payson.the seating chart is posted on my polo grounds site both sites. Donald

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X