Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polo Grounds and Giants owner Horace Stoneman's seats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crzybeauti
    replied
    got a question for ya

Hello...I noticed people posting about memorbilia that has come from the pologrounds and I was wondering if someone who knew anything about pricing could answer my question. I have the home plate from the last game played at the pologrounds signed by team players and 4 tickets from that game and a newspaper article about my grandfather who obtained this plate.IT
    IS AUTHENTIC!!!Does anyone one know how much (approximatly) this could all be worth? My grandmother and I have always been curious. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• chairman
    replied
    Here's some closer views. The second one with Willie Mays is probably on the outfield side of the dugout. I still need better views in back of the catcher... The last two pics are of Horace Stoneman.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chairman; 07-30-2005, 12:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chairman
    replied
    Thanks, Donald. Those photos did show bettter views of the lower level seats and some areas near the catcher, but not exactly the place I'm looking for. Anyway, as for those other lower level seats, none of them are pairs. I see long rows, then some sixes, and then a lot of fours; but I saw no twos. My two seats are getting rarer. In those photos, I really could not make out the seats along the wall or fence directly in back of the catcher. That's the spot in question. There was a set of five along the wall right next to the visitors dugout.
    Last edited by chairman; 07-26-2005, 05:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chairman
    replied
    Attention...... This Pair Of NY Giants Figural Seats Will Be For Sale At Sotheby's In Their December Baseball Auction

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    polo grounds seats photos

Hello you may want to check out this site for photos of the seats you have
    http://www.dailynewspix.com
    or you can checkout the CORBIS.COM site for photos Donald

Leave a comment:

• chairman
    replied
    Here's three closeups from PG's postcards and photos. In the first one, a single row, special box seat area stuck out from the general stands directly behind the catcher and between the dugouts.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chairman; 07-06-2005, 08:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chairman
    replied
    Paulmcall, OK, but the story was: "That when he wasn't in his private areas, when he DID want to sit on the field, he sat in the same 2 prime seats in the first row behind the catcher, in these 2 seats." They actually told the story to me somewhat in that fashion, that he did have private areas in the stadium, but when he wanted to be close, he came down and sat in these seats. And he was seen there often. Someone out there must remember seeing him in the stands! I'm sure there's photos showing this. Come on, guys, get those photos and stories from your grandfathers! ........ I'm still waiting to see a seat chart for the Polo Grounds stadium. In most stadiums, the spots next to the field have special reserved seats, and are arranged in small groups....... Anyway, thanks to everbody for the information and the Stoneham stories. It appears there's a lot more interesting and odd facts about this guy than just his being the owner! Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by chairman; 06-23-2005, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GIANT
    replied
    [
    Hence the common expression "according to Kiner"

e.g. "According to Kiner, the moon is made of bleu cheese salad dressing."[/QUOTE]

Where did you read or hear that?

Leave a comment:

• westsidegrounds
    replied
    [QUOTE=GIANT]
    According to Kiner, Stoneham saw the water on the windows and thought it was raining. He canceled the doubleheader. /QUOTE]

Hence the common expression "according to Kiner"

e.g. "According to Kiner, the moon is made of bleu cheese salad dressing."

Leave a comment:

• GIANT
    replied
    Stoneham allegedly slept in the centerfield clubhouse when he was recovering from a "headache." During a Mets broadcast last year Ralph Kiner told this story about Stoneham. The Pirates were in town to play the Giants a Sunday doubleheader at the Polo Grounds on a beautiful sunny day. Prior to the first game, workmen were washing the clubhouse windows in centerfield. Stoneham was asleep and was awaken by the noise. According to Kiner, Stoneham saw the water on the windows and thought it was raining. He canceled the doubleheader. Kiner said he was shagging fly balls and was told the doubleheader was postponed because of rain. Kiner went back to the Pirates clubhouse. Shortly thereafter, he heard Leo Durocher unleash a profanity laden tirade. Kiner claimed the irony of it all was the Giants were rained out and the Dodgers were playing a doubleheader in Brooklyn.

Leave a comment:

• Paulmcall
    replied
    I thought Stoneham watched a lot of games from his centerfield office.
    That long row of seats looks like the set I saw at the Hall of Fame this past week.

Leave a comment:

• chairman
    replied
    Donald, what is your site address?

Leave a comment:

• chairman
    replied
    Nope. These die hards went to "Giants" games for many many years. They even followed them out ot California and went to games there. They knew the owner and his name well. He had owned the team for many many years. I'll check your seating charts.

Leave a comment:

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
    replied
    polo grounds seats

Hello i looked at my polo grounds seating chart and saw that there were a few areas were there was only 2 seats together in the field level box seat area.and one thing you may want to consider the 2 seats could have also been seats for the owner of the mets joan payson.the seating chart is posted on my polo grounds site both sites. Donald

Leave a comment:

• chairman
    replied
    Sorry I spelled his name wrong. It is Stoneham, not Stoneman. I corrected it in the threads but couldn't in the title.
    Last edited by chairman; 06-08-2005, 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X