X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    Originally posted by egri View Post
    With his passing, only Monte Irvin and Willie Mays are left from the 1951 team.
    I believe you're right. After the passing away at age 88 of pitcher George Spencer in September 2014, who was on both the 1951 and 1954 Giants championship teams, Irvin and Mays are the last survivors of that "Miracle Of Coogan's Bluff" '51 Giants team.

Leave a comment:

• Doug24
    replied
    RIP "Blackie"....you were a great NY Giant !!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• GIANT
    replied
    Dark and Dick Groat of the Pirates were two best hitters I've seen that could execute the "hit and run" play. The acquisitions of both Dark and Eddie Stanky from the Braves propelled the Giants into contenders. Dark was not the greatest fielding shortstop in the National League but he was good at knowing the hitters and positioning himself. He played in two World Series and hit over .400 in each one. As a manager, he emulated Leo Durocher as a strategist. Dark, was the Giants captain, and was known affectionately by his Giant teammates a "Cap." May he RIP.

Leave a comment:

• egri
    replied
    With his passing, only Monte Irvin and Willie Mays are left from the 1951 team.

Leave a comment:

• BigRon
    replied
    Dark was a very good player. He had good pop for a middle infielder of that era, and was frequently around .300. He was also a good fielder. I remember seeing him in 1957 at Forbes Field, after he was traded to the Cards. I think he went to the Cubs for a couple of years after that. I also remmber the great controversey he stirred in an interview about the Black and Latin American players on the Giants.

Not a Hall of Fame player, but still a very good one. He also lost 2 or 3 years at the beginning of his career due to WW2.

Leave a comment:

• GIANT
    started a topic Alvin Dark Passes Away at 92

Alvin Dark Passes Away at 92

Alvin Dark, former captain of the New York Giants, has passed away at 92.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2010212
    Last edited by GIANT; 11-13-2014, 04:35 PM.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X