Happy Birthday Willie Mays!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Willie Mays!

And time once again to roll out the birthday cake for Willie Mays. The "Say Hey Kid " turns 86 today.

Here's a glass raised to you, Buck, wherever you are- to the best player I ever saw.

Belated 86th birthday wishes to "The Say Hey Kid", Willie Mays .
    One of my earliest baseball-related memories has to do with a Florida vacation my family took in me on in the Summer of 1955 when I was 6. I was already a pretty good reader by then so just before we left my father bought me a magazine that was all about Willie Mays (probably to keep me quiet in the hotel rooms). It detailed his background in Alabama and the fact that he still liked to play stickball with New York kids occasionally. Although the magazine focused mostly on Mays, I remember that there was at least one chapter at the end that went heavily into the Giants' 1954 World Series sweep of Cleveland and Mays' amazing catch in Game One, Dusty Rhodes clutch hitting heroics and the Giants strong pitching performances (Antonelli, Maglie, Gomez, Grissom, Liddle, Wilhelm). There were a lot of great black & white photos also. It's hard for a kid that age to hold on to things for two years, let alone 62 years since that magazine hit the newsstands. It was one of those "little treasures" that I sure wish I still had today.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 05-10-2017, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Yes, belated birthday wishes to the Say Hey Kid.

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
      Belated 86th birthday wishes to "The Say Hey Kid", Willie Mays .
      One of my earliest baseball-related memories has to do with a Florida vacation my family took in me on in the Summer of 1955 when I was 6. I was already a pretty good reader by then so just before we left my father bought me a magazine that was all about Willie Mays (probably to keep me quiet in the hotel rooms). It detailed his background in Alabama and the fact that he still liked to play stickball with New York kids occasionally. Although the magazine focused mostly on Mays, I remember that there was at least one chapter at the end that went heavily into the Giants' 1954 World Series sweep of Cleveland and Mays' amazing catch in Game One, Dusty Rhodes clutch hitting heroics and the Giants strong pitching performances (Antonelli, Maglie, Gomez, Grissom, Liddle, Wilhelm). There were a lot of great black & white photos also. It's hard for a kid that age to hold on to things for two years, let alone 62 years since that magazine hit the newsstands. It was one of those "little treasures" that I sure wish I still had today.
      Is this the book?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-WILLIE-...d/232335835699

If so, you can get one.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
        Yes, belated birthday wishes to the Say Hey Kid.

Is this the book?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-WILLIE-...d/232335835699

If so, you can get one.
        Wouldn't it be nice if a certain NL team brought him back to NYC to celebrate?

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
          Wouldn't it be nice if a certain NL team brought him back to NYC to celebrate?
          He lived in the area for a long time. I wonder where he lives now.

I think Fred ceded the Mets' claim on Mays to the San Francisco Giants. He was at the last game at Shea, but that doesn't say much; almost everybody notable who wore a Mets uniform was there. Mays might be the greatest player ever - certainly best among NY National League players. It'd be nice to see him in Flushing.

I also wonder if the book I posted the link to was the book Philliesfiend55 was looking for.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Mays has lived in Atherton, California- about forty miles south of San Francisco- since 1969. He did own an apartment in the Riverdale section of the Bronx for many years, and had homes in several other places at one time, but I don't know if he owns any of them anymore. Oddly enough, Ty Cobb lived in Atherton for many years- I'd say from the early 1930's to the late 1950's

Comment

Mays also lived in a very modern looking house that is still standing at 54 Mendosa Ave in San Francisco.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X