Adam "Rankin" Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam "Rankin" Johnson

I was bored last night and was browsing through my autographed cards and photos binders. When I came across a signed 5x7 of Adam "Rankin" Johnson who played with the Philadelphia A's ( I think his rookie year was in the 40's). Something that I had forgot about was a letter that he had written me thanking me for writing and talking about his life in baseball. He also said that his father played in the majors too. Could anyone please provide the career stats of both father and son?
    Thanks.
    ~Tony~
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Senior

Junior
    2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
      Thanks for the links! I wonder why Rankin Jr only played in 7 games. Injury maybe?
      Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Originally posted by AutographCollector
        Thanks for the links! I wonder why Rankin Jr only played in 7 games. Injury maybe?
        I'm assuming that the War played a big role in interrupting his career. He actually did have a pretty long minor league career though. He began playing in 1935 and played through 1941. Then he later returned and played in both '46 and '47.

Comment

I've always thought the Rankin Johnson family was fascinating. While in baseball parlance they are labeled Sr. and Jr., they were actually II and III. Grandfather Adam Rankin Johnson was a noted confederate general. Jr. was president of the Eastern League after his playing career. Sr. engaged in a brilliant shutout battle with a more notable Johnson.

In 1914 Rankin Johnson faced Walter Johnson five times. Rankin won the first duel between them 5-0. They then split a pair of 1-0 games. Walter took a 12-0 game and then beat Rankin 1-0 again.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X