The greatest teams ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest teams ever?

Who thinks the Philidelphia A's of the '20s were the best ever?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%
    "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Originally posted by keepthefaith3
    Who thinks the Philidelphia A's of the '20s were the best ever?
    I suppose this may seem somewhat typical to you, but I think that the 1927 Yankees were better.

Keep on keeping it

Comment

The 1929-1931 A's would certainly be top 5 of all-time, maybe higher. But I'd have to put the late 30's Yank's #1. 1939 if I had to pick one year.

Comment

Originally posted by mwiggins
        The 1929-1931 A's would certainly be top 5 of all-time, maybe higher. But I'd have to put the late 30's Yank's #1. 1939 if I had to pick one year.
        I wasn't talking about the 30's. I'm talkin about the 20's.
        "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

I've always said the 1929, 1930 and 1931 A's could give the '27 Yankees a run for their money
          "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity...No we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball."
          --Albert Einstein
          "Jimmy Connors plays two tennis matches and winds up with $850,000, and Muhammad Ali fights for one bout and winds up with five million bucks. Me, I play 190 games--if you count exhibitions -- and I'm overpaid!?"
          --Johnny Bench

Comment

I wasn't talking about the 30's. I'm talkin about the 20's.
            Sorry, I assumed you were referring specifically to the great Grove/Foxx/Simmons/Cochrane team. Just looking at the 20's, then no, they're not even close to best of all time. They just won one pennant, and finished last twice. Just sticking to the 20's, the Giants and Yankees teams were much better.

Comment

Sorry, I assumed you were referring specifically to the great Grove/Foxx/Simmons/Cochrane team. Just looking at the 20's, then no, they're not even close to best of all time. They just won one pennant, and finished last twice. Just sticking to the 20's, the Giants and Yankees teams were much better.
              Sorry if i confused anyone, but i'm sayin late 20's and maybe 1931.

Comment

My first thoughts also went to the Yankees and the Giants.

Comment

Yes. I agree. The '39 Yanks.
                  Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgerfan1
                    Yes. I agree. The '39 Yanks.
                    I also agree the '39 Yanks.
                    "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

you are suggesting that the '39 Yanks were better than '27? Didn't the '30 A's have 7 guys hit .300 or better?

Comment

'27 Yankees - the best EVER

Comment

The 1932 Yankees-Ruth's last great year 107-47 record. Clean sweep of Cubs in historic and colorful World Series. Chock full of HOFers.

Brownie31

Comment

I'd vote for the '27 Yanks as the best team of the '20's:

Ruth hits 60 out of the park, 164 RBI, 417 total bases, with a .772 SA;

Gehrig bats .373, hits 47 out, 18 triples, 52 doubles, 175 RBI, with a .765 SA;

Combs leads the league in hits and triples, with 231 and 23, for 137 runs;

Lazzeri is third in HR's and fourth in SB;

Meusel gets 47 doubles and is second in SB.

Meanwhile, Moore, Hoyt & Shocker pitch up a storm.

All for a grand total and league record of 110 wins, out of 154 games.

__________________________________________________ __________

I'd say they were one of the very few teams - and possibly the only team - ever better than the phenomenal '31 A's, with Simmons, Cochrane and Foxx - not to mention the tremendous pitching trio of Grove (31) Earnshaw (21) and Walberg (20). All for 107/45.

Comment

Sorry if i confused anyone, but i'm sayin late 20's and maybe 1931.
                              You should change the poll title, then. PreWWII is anything before 1941.
                              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X