The greatest teams ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
    You should change the poll title, then. PreWWII is anything before 1941.
    I have to quibble here. Pre-WWII in on the field baseball is anything before 1942. I would say that WWII was an influence on the 1941 season, though.

Comment

1927 New York Yankees
      DON'T TRADE THE MELK MAN!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have to agree that the 27 Yanks were the best. I keep hearing about the 41 Dodgers though. Any Thoughts

Comment

The Other Great of '41

Originally posted by Bob Haas
          I have to agree that the 27 Yanks were the best. I keep hearing about the 41 Dodgers though. Any Thoughts

Yeah. While Joltin' Joe and Teddy Ballgame were sealing their legends over in the AL, Pistol Pete Reiser took the Dodgers to their first pennant in over 20 years - leading the league in BA (.343), Runs (117), Doubles (39), Triples (17), Slugging Percentage (.558) and 163 AOPS. Pretty astonishing for a 21 year-old in his first full year. Plus, he was the creme-de-la-creme of base runners, and [later] the master of stealing home.

The Dodgers won 100 games to Cards' 97. (The Cards had Mize, Slaughter and Musial.) But the Yanks were just too powerful for them, with DiMaggio, Keller, Heinrich, Rizzuto, Ruffing and Gomez.

Reiser was a baseball phenomena, but ended up getting hurt young, by the wall and the war. He was also a terrific guy, and helped pave the way for Jackie Robinson with his teammates after the war. Reiser and Robinson played ball together in the Army and had a close bond and friendship. This proved to be instrumental when Robinson came to Brooklyn in '47, because Reiser was so loved by his teammates and fans. Knowing Branch Rickey, I'm sure he figured all this into the equation.
          Last edited by TRfromBR; 02-08-2007, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks TbfromBr about Reiser and the Dodgers. I was aware they met their nemesis , the Yanks, in the series and lost, but all accounts say they were a phenomenal team. The background on Reiser and Robinson is priceless and knew to me. Bob

Comment

I don't think they were the best ever but it's vary short roll call until their name comes up.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Great Guy

Originally posted by Bob Haas
                Thanks TbfromBr about Reiser and the Dodgers. I was aware they met their nemesis , the Yanks, in the series and lost, but all accounts say they were a phenomenal team. The background on Reiser and Robinson is priceless and knew to me. Bob

IMO, Bob, Pisto Pete Reiser was one of the greatest ballplayers that ever lived. Fastest guy in the league, hit great from both sides, and even threw from both sides (!). And he was a terrific fielder. His '41 season - at a very young age - was one for the ages.

When he was in the war, he played ball with Jackie Robinson. He respected Robinson as a person, and as a ball player. But, as I recall, there was something even much deeper about his supporting Robinson. I read this years ago (plus, I knew a guy who played for Reiser, when he managed in the Minors), so I may get some minor details wrong, but the essence is as follows.

Before Reiser was at Fort Riley, he was serving in a remote area of Texas. While there, his daughter became deathly ill. Violating the customs of the time, particularly in the Jim Crow States, he took his daughter to a black physician. The doctor took the daughter in his house, during the middle of the night, treated her around the clock and saved her life.

That was something Reiser obviously never forgot, and he made it a point to resolutely stand up for Robinson against rascist teammates and fans, when that time came - which it certainly did. Being that Reiser was one of the Gold Dust Twins - a huge star for the Dodgers - that carried immense weight.

I've known many people who saw all the New York (Yankee, Giant & Dodger) greats of those days. Most thought, DiMaggio was the greatest all round player they ever saw. But, Reiser was a close second. Even Ted Williams gave him special tribute in his book, "Hit List." He could do it all.

He makes me proud to be a baseball fan.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by TRfromBR; 02-14-2007, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TRfromBR
                  [COLOR="Blue"]

When he was in the war, he played ball with Jackie Robinson. He respected Robinson as a person, and as a ball player. But, as I recall, there was something even much deeper about his supporting Robinson. I read this years ago (plus, I knew a guy who played for Reiser, when he managed in the Minors), so I may get some minor details wrong, but the essence is as follows.

]
                  I don't think Reiser actually played ball with Robinson until they were teammates on the Dodgers. I was looking at some books at Robinson, and don't think he played much baseball in the service. He was pressured to play for the Ft. Riley football team, but didn't play because of an arthritic ankle. If Robonson had been a Negro Leaguer before the war, he may have been placed at less of a Jim Crow site then Ft. Riley was.

I believe the only encounter that Reiser had with Robinson on a baseball field in the Army, was when Robinson came over to try out for the Ft. Riley baseball team, and was turned away and advised to try out for the colored team (which did not exist). Reiser was a member of the Ft. Riley and may have witnessed this.

Comment

I defer to you and your knowledge respecting Jackie Robinson, James West.

There's an interesting interview with "Red" Rodney, famed sportswriter for the Daily Worker, at www.counterpunch.org/zirino4o32004.html, relating to Paige, Gibson, Robinson & Campanella (as well as to Joe Louis & Paul Robeson.) I think you'll find it interesting and informative.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by TRfromBR; 02-15-2007, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWest
                      I believe the only encounter that Reiser had with Robinson on a baseball field in the Army, was when Robinson came over to try out for the Ft. Riley baseball team, and was turned away and advised to try out for the colored team (which did not exist). Reiser was a member of the Ft. Riley and may have witnessed this.

Very interesting. I forgot Robinson was never allowed on the team.

There's a excellent article at www.talkingproud.us/culture073004.html, which discusses Reiser's career, and briefly references his meeting Robinson at Fort Riley. I think I've read in the past that Robinson and Reiser did briefly play ball together there, but it must have been during tryouts. What a disgrace that they Jim Crow-ed him. Could you have imagined those two on the same Army team? Reiser still had his incredible speed than (he was timed at 9.8 in the 100 as a rookie, they say) and Robinson was more in his prime, too.

What a waste it all was.

Below is a photo of Reiser at Fort Riley.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X