Connie Mack = Most overrated manager of all-time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

Holy God you quoted a post from 7 years ago and you're still posting. Crazy. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking. I can't believe I didn't mention Stengel & McCarthy on top is insane. Bobby Cox is my #1 manager of all-time...
    1. Cox, Bobby – Atlanta Braves
    2. McGraw, John – New York Giants
    3. Mack, Connie – Philadelphia Athletics
    4. La Russa, Tony – St. Louis Cardinals
    5. Alston, Walter – Los Angeles Dodgers
    6. Anderson, Sparky – Detroit Tigers
    7. McKechnie, Bill – Cincinnati Reds
    8. Weaver, Earl – Baltimore Orioles
    9. Anson, Cap – Chicago White Stockings
    10. Herzog, Whitey – St. Louis Cardinals
    11. Torre, Joe – New York Yankees
    12. McCarthy, Joe – New York Yankees
    13. Stengel, Casey – New York Yankees
    Sparky ahead of Weaver? Sacrebleu!

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Gallanter View Post

Sparky ahead of Weaver? Sacrebleu!
      Hmmm... I can't remember my thinking.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

When one is evaluating Connie Mack's career as a manager, there are a LOT of extra factors that one has to consider that don't typically effect other managers in the same way or at all. His is a very unique case and has to be considered as such. Special factors are 1.) He owned his team and couldn't be fired. 2.) Sometimes he decided as an owner it was more economic and beneficial to him financially to gut his winning teams and field the cheapest team he could afford, to his detriment as the manager. 3.) His "decline phase" as a manager alone (say 1932 to 1950 appx) was longer than most of any other full managerial careers on record. 4.) As owner, he made the decision to retain himself as manager way past the point where he was effective in the role, whether he had good players or didn't. He simply stayed too long and got too old for the job.

Most managers don't have these option or choices available to their detriment OR benefit. They serve at the whim of an owner and have long been the scapegoat for teams that don't meet expectations (whether that is statistically / sabermetrically right or wrong, firing managers has been a panacea for the fans AND the owners since almost the beginning of baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X