X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sunsox
    started a topic Pilot Records

Pilot Records

I'm wondering if there are any major league records that were established by a member of the Seattle Pilots that still stand today.
    Do you know of any Pilot records still in the record books?

• Calif_Eagle
    replied
    Originally posted by sunsox View Post
    I'm wondering if there are any major league records that were established by a member of the Seattle Pilots that still stand today.
    Do you know of any Pilot records still in the record books?
    I found one.... sort of. On July 19 1969 the Pilots lost to the Twins 11-7 in 18 innings (yes they sort of caved in the 18th). In the game the Pilots had 21 Left On Base (LOB) and the Twins had 23. The combined total of 44 LOB was at least an AL record and might have been an MLB record **at the time**. The source (the book I mentioned in the previous post) indicates this is a record that has since been surpassed. The game was suspended and completed on July 20 right before that days scheduled game. P John Gelnar took the loss in the 18 inning game yielding 4 runs, then was the starter in the scheduled July 20 game (how times have changed!) and lost that one also, losing 2 decisions in one day. Tough day for him and the team.

Here you can see the Box Score. Note that "Ball Four" author Jim Bouton gave up 2 Twins HR in this game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96907190.shtml

EDIT: This game might still be an AL record at least. I know it has been surpassed but IDK how many times, and in which league it was surpassed. I was not able to find the game that surpassed this one (as yet). If someone knows what it is (or has an MLB Record Book) it would be Great if they could post that info.
    Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 08-01-2017, 09:25 PM. Reason: Add content

Leave a comment:

• Calif_Eagle
    replied

Thanks Calif_Eagle, I'm just learning about the Pilots.
    Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post

You could probably write a pamphlet about all there is to know about them.
    You are not far wrong, dwj21792.... Sunsox, If you read every thread in this Pilots forum and read Ball Four, you just about have it covered. One book I would suggest is a book by McFarland Publications called "The 1969 Seattle Pilots" that tells the whole story from start to finish, (a little over 2 years, from the 1967 MLB (AL) Winter Meetings where the franchise was granted, until the Milwaukee Brewers first took the field on Opening Day 1970. They went through 1970 ST as the Pilots and their equipment was sent late in ST to Provo UT where it awaited a call to go on to either Seattle or to Milwaukee.)
    Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 07-11-2017, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dwj21792
    replied

You could probably write a pamphlet about all there is to know about them.

Leave a comment:

• sunsox
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Calif_Eagle
    replied
    In 1969, Tommy Harper led the AL in stolen bases with 73 and caught stealing with 18 for the Pilots. I know those aren't records but those 2 league leaderships may be as close as you get.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X