Joe Schultz - details needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Schultz - details needed

Hello everyone -- I'm helping on a project about bios of the 1964 Cardinals. As you may know, Pilots skipper Joe Schultz was a coach in St. Louis from 1963 to 1968 before joining Seattle. As a Ball Four fan, I volunteered to work on Joe when I saw he was still unassigned. I am hoping to fill in the following gaps -- replies offline are welcome.

1. His mother's name and maiden name
    2. Is the story that he got a base hit as a 13-year-old in the minors true? I'd like a game account.
    3. It appears he did not have to serve in the military during World War II. I wonder if he was 4-F?
    4. Any color on his life after retiring from baseball. I have only that he worked in railroad supply circa 1984.
    5. Name of his wife and when they were married; names of his children, if any.

Thanks!

From 1968 Sporting News Guide, page 398 --

Says he pinch-hit for Houston in 1931 at age 13. He was bat boy, his father was manager.
    Married Grace Tesson September 2, 1940.

---

I have also seen the 1931 at bat attributed to Joe Schultz, Sr. Don't know which is correct.

Comment

That helps, Macker, thank you. Meanwhile I found out that the Army did reject Joe for military service (haven't found the cause yet, though).

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
        From 1968 Sporting News Guide, page 398 --

Houston in 1931
        ---

I have also seen the 1931 at bat attributed to Joe Schultz, Sr. Don't know which is correct.
        Members of that Houston team: Dizzy Dean and Joe Medwick.

Comment

I believe his daughter was on Hee Haw for a number of years and now has a candy company in TN? I wish I could recall more but this candy owner offered up family info that would indicate she is either the daughter of Shultz or Don Gutterridge.

Comment

Something I discovered while conducting some online research for pinch hitting data, (source is one of the SABR Baseball Research Journals that has been made available online) that *may* not be commonly known, is that Joe Schultz of Seattle Pilots management, Ball Four, and "lets go pound some Budweiser" fame, and his father; are the only father-son combo in MLB history to each lead their league in pinch hits (& they each led in PH BA twice.)

(Just as an aside, trying to find really good, comprehensive PH data & league leaderships in various categories for given years or for individual players on is like pulling teeth from a live tiger in the wild... I dont know how much call there would ever be for it, but I'd like to see a PH encyclopedia compiled like Total Baseball or Baseball Ref.com or even like the Home Run Encyclopedia for every player to ever make a PH plate appearance.)
            Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by janduscframe View Post
              I believe his daughter was on Hee Haw for a number of years and now has a candy company in TN? I wish I could recall more but this candy owner offered up family info that would indicate she is either the daughter of Shultz or Don Gutterridge.
              I remember this as well and even looked it up once but it's been a few years ago. You may want to post this request in the St. Louis Browns forum as well since Schultz played for that team from 1943-1948. I seem to remember a thread about Schultz in the Browns forum but couldn't locate it-possibly it was "purged" when the site experienced a server problem a couple of years ago.
              "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

It's a good lead worth following, guys...I'll see what I can dig up. Thanks.

Comment

I've gotten all my answers here, folks. It just took a lot of good old-fashioned digging -- but in the Internet era, it seems that everything is answerable.

So this piece of the '64 Cards project will move to the next stage (the whole project is getting a push, in fact).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X