A book about the Pilots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A book about the Pilots?

Aside from "Ball Four", which is really a memoir that happens to involve the Seattle Pilots, is there a definitive history of the Seattle Pilots, or Seattle baseball in general?
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Seattle Pilots Book

Originally posted by Aa3rt
    Aside from "Ball Four", which is really a memoir that happens to involve the Seattle Pilots, is there a definitive history of the Seattle Pilots, or Seattle baseball in general?
    Hello there is a book out on the seattle pilots its called
    THE SEATTLE PILOTS STORY by CARSON VAN LINDT
    ISBN- 0-9632595-5-5
    PUBLISHED by Marabou Publishing 220 PAGES
    its a nice book that covers the 1969 baseball season.it also talks about seattle.s baseball past also. take care Donald
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Thank you!
      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Seattle Pilots Book

By the way the book is copyrighted 1993 so i dont know if you can still get it new or only used. there are some photos in the book but not alot. Donald

Comment

The Seattle Pilots Story

Would you be able to post the pics from the book? - a great piece of Pilots' history.
          Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 11-15-2008, 07:50 AM. Reason: Editing photo

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt
            The Grand Minor League, by Dick Dobbins (1999) is an oral history of the PCL, including the Rainiers. Interesting stories & pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
              By the way the book is copyrighted 1993 so i dont know if you can still get it new or only used. there are some photos in the book but not alot. Donald
              The only copy I found after a brief search was $295 on abe books...Only once have I ever spent that much on a book (...and never again!)
              RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

The Seattle Pilots Story

I agree! The prices are outragious! Sounds like the reason is due to the book being out of print. I tried contacting the author, but the phone number is no longer in service. Still an occasional book siting on ebay. Maybe the author moved to Milwaukee, too!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 11-15-2008, 08:04 AM. Reason: Editing photo

Comment

pilots

Originally posted by Tailwind Tommy
                  I agree! The prices are outragious! Sounds like the reason is due to the book being out of print. I tried contacting the author, but the phone number is no longer in service. Maybe he moved to Milwaukee, too! Thought maybe someone out there with a copy of the book would be able to post the few Pilots pics there are so at least we who cannot afford the book could share in enjoying seeing part of Pilots history. That should be easier than raising money to rebuild Sick's Stadium.
                  [ATTACH]4462[/ATTACH]
                  Sorry but the book does not have alot of photos. i will checkout the book to see how many photos are in it and let you know later this week. if i can download some i will. Donald detroit.

Comment

seattle pilots book cover

Here is the cover for the seattle pilots book that i posted about earlier. there are not alot of photos in it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The Seattle Pilots Story

Nice cover layout and great photos inside. A great addition to a Pilots collector's library!
                      Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 11-15-2008, 08:06 AM. Reason: Editing narrative

Comment

I've read this book and while it is interesting it is not even close to being in Ball Four's league. It had some interesting information though. One thing I remember is that the Pilots had no local tv contract and so if you didn't know the players from going to the games at Sicks you probably wouldn't have been able to recognize them from dick if you were standing next to them on the street. And that the photographers perch at Sicks Stadium was an almost straight down view of the field and that when game picture were published in the local newspapers you really could only see the top of the players hat or helmet with pretty much no face recognition.

Comment

The Seattle Pilots Story

Goosenogle -

Do you have the book? It'd be nice for someone to post the pics from inside! Hopefully someone will.

Comment

No actually I'd gotten it out of the local library.

Comment

The Seattle Pilots Story

I think I got my copy from an ad in the back of Baseball Digest but that was a few years ago. It was printed by Marabou Publishing.Maybe they have a website. I wish there were more books about the Pilots. I just bought a personalized Photo of Jim Bouton from his website.It's cheaper than on ebay and he'll write what you request on it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X