All Pilot Pics and sites...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
    I see hills behind the third base side wall. What was the surrounding area like?
    At the time of that era I don't know. There was probably some farming surrounding the area in that time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Dewey Soriano also play for the Rainiers?

Comment

Thanks Goose. Was Sick's surrounded by City when the Piots played there? It wasn't in an area like Chavez Ravine?

Originally posted by Goosenoggle Slipgear
      At the time of that era I don't know. There was probably some farming surrounding the area in that time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Dewey Soriano also play for the Rainiers?

Comment

Garlic Gulch

Sick's Stadium was in an area called Garlic Gulch, due to the large Italian population there. it is a couple miles South East from the Downtown area. Many of these citizens were truck farmers who had gardens in the area. There is a famous garden that used to sit up on the hill behind the outfield, I think it was there when the Rainiers played there. As far as population density, by 1969, I believe it was fairly dense, with mostly residential and along Rainier Avenue South, Industrial.

Before Sicks was built, there was a ballpark at the site for many years. The name escapes me.

www.historylink.org has some great stuff on Seattle History, with stories of Seattle neighborhoods, including Rainier Valley, Columbia City and The Mt. Baker district.
        Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 07-15-2006, 10:19 PM.

Comment

yep

Originally posted by Goosenoggle Slipgear
          Dewey Soriano also play for the Rainiers?
          yes he did...

Comment

Super cool thread guys

Comment

Some great Pilots photos from a BBF member's site!

Check out these great Pilots photos from the website of a BBF.com member:

GH1054's Pilots Photos

Make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom for page #2!
              "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

almost a new Pilots photo

Here's a great one of Steve Hovley taken in April of 1970....he's on the Brewers but you can see the "P" has been scratched off of his helmet.

Steve

Comment

Just testing.
                  Attached Files

Comment

New Pilots book

The 1969 Seattle Pilots; Baseball's One-Year Team has arrived. I received my 10 author's copies yesterday. I hope all of the Pilots' fans out there will enjoy it. It was a labor of love for me and I'd love your feedback. I wish the publisher (McFarland) had allowed color photos but I am not in a position to "Call the shots". There are the familiar Pilot photos along with never seen before photos including action shots. I think you will find the interviews at the end of the book both informative and at times funny. Thanks guys (& gals).

Kenny Hogan

Comment

Thanks for the timely reminder, Kenny! I just went to Borders.com and saw they have it listed-in fact, when I searched on "Seattle Pilots" your tome was the first one listed!

While I'll remain loyal to my beloved Washington Senators I'll definitely have to pick this one up-although I STILL haven't forgotten that the Pilots had their ONLY winning record against the Senators in 1969! h
                      Last edited by Aa3rt; 04-11-2007, 07:31 AM.
                      "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Pilots History

The history of the Seattle Pilots! A great addition to any Pilots fan library.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Tailwind Tommy; 11-13-2008, 05:30 AM. Reason: Editing photo

Comment

This is my 1st post so I'm not sure if these are already here:
                          http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/pastsea/pilots.html

http://www.seattlepilots.com/70tcgall.html

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/sports/pilots.htm

Comment

Tommy Harper

Here is a 1970 Topps Tommy Harper card
                            Attached Files
                            LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

1970 Topps Poster Don Mincher

Here is a nice 1970 topps poster of Don Mincher with the seattle pilots. these were done before the teams move to Milwaukee that year.
                              Attached Files
                              LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

New link

Here is the updated gasoline alley link:
                                http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com...all/pilots.htm

That Pilots "spinner charm" is an especially attractive piece. Out of my budget unfortunately.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X