No announcement yet.

Browns pitcher John M. Stivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, Gentlemen: I happened across these posts and queries regarding my father, John M Stivers, and his baseball history. I am one of his five daughters, and can reply with more concrete information about his professional stint with the Browns. He was always proud of his careers, as we are of his short professional time with the Browns.

You each are correct on some level: He signed with the Browns; entered college at Valparaiso (and played for them); and entered the service (USAF). We always heard he was pulled up for one game (against the Yankees). We also never found documentation supporting this. Because of his service to country, and then starting a family and successful education career - he was content with how his career played out. I am sure, as a young man with potential, he wished greater opportunity - but he went on to coach and be successful in his own right. We have his Browns uniform still, and the photos you have mentioned. Let me speak with another sister to see if I can create a timeline!

Dad passed suddenly, of a heart condition, at age 57.

Thank you for keeping his history alive, even if in conversation.

Sandie STIVERS Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by Stivo View Post
      Hello, Gentlemen: I happened across these posts and queries regarding my father, John M Stivers, and his baseball history. I am one of his five daughters, and can reply with more concrete information about his professional stint with the Browns. He was always proud of his careers, as we are of his short professional time with the Browns.

You each are correct on some level: He signed with the Browns; entered college at Valparaiso (and played for them); and entered the service (USAF). We always heard he was pulled up for one game (against the Yankees). We also never found documentation supporting this. Because of his service to country, and then starting a family and successful education career - he was content with how his career played out. I am sure, as a young man with potential, he wished greater opportunity - but he went on to coach and be successful in his own right. We have his Browns uniform still, and the photos you have mentioned. Let me speak with another sister to see if I can create a timeline!

Dad passed suddenly, of a heart condition, at age 57.

Thank you for keeping his history alive, even if in conversation.

Sandie STIVERS Palmer
      Oh, this is some great info! Thank you much for sharing your knowledge and insight of your dad.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X