Mary Ott?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ott?

I was just reading about a fan at Sportsmans Park called "Screechin' Screamin' Mary Ott". The article said that she used to sit behind the first base dugout and drive opponents crazy by yelling stuff at them. The only thing is that the article didn't mention whether she was there for the Browns games or the Cardinals games. Does anyone else know anything else about this fan and which team was she was there at the home games for?

Originally posted by The Commissioner
    I was just reading about a fan at Sportsmans Park called "Screechin' Screamin' Mary Ott". The article said that she used to sit behind the first base dugout and drive opponents crazy by yelling stuff at them.
    How fun to find this post! I have googled her name a few times, but not recently. Mary Ott attended Cardinal games, or at least those were the ones I recall her from. As I remember, however, she sat either behind third base or just a bit closer to left field at Sportsmans Park. The Cardinals used the third base dugout, visitors were along the first base line. Harry Carey and Gabby Street (his color announcing partner until about 1951) used to comment about her when she would let out one of her long winded yells. I don't believe she ever said anything intelligible, just made this eerie wailing noise. You could even hear her over the radio!

My dad was a transplanted New Yorker and I was brought up a Giants fan in St. Louis. He had friends in the Giants front office and in 1950, '51 and '52 I was occasionally the bat boy for the Giants for their games in St. Louis. I have a bunch of memorabilia from those years including my uniform, caps, a glove from John Mize, signed baseballs for most years and tons of pictures taken by my dad.

I also saw some Browns games, but from the "knothole seats" in the center field bleachers for 25 cents.

Where did you hear about Mary Ott?

Gabe

Comment

Gabe Curious to know if you have any memories of Ed Logan, clubhouse manager of the Giants during the time you were bat boy. I think Mr Logan accompanied the team on the road for some of that time. I am writing a book that includes a significant focus on Ed Logan

Thanks

Larry Hogan

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X