St Louis Browns Farm Clubs in the 40's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shrinking Minor leagues

Bil McCurdy's research to produce that list of Browns' farm beams between 1945 and 1953 is impressive (Post #31, this thread). Keep in mind however, that the Browns were one of the poorer franchises of that time. While they might have averaged about 15 farm teams per year during that period, with a one-year peak of 20, many teams such as the Dodgers and Phillies had around or over 25 farm teams throughout most of that same period.
    That's a clear indication that there has been a decline of popularity of the game among today's youth and that a lot of talent that was once exclusively bound for careers in baseball has been funneled off to other sports.
    Today teams have four full season farm teams and two more short season ones in a typical organizational setup.

Comment

Good post.

This situation is horrendous. There so much blame to go around, but MLB itself is at least partially to blame. This is (was) the national sport, a great unifying factor between us all. A cultural trust, obliterated. There shouldn't be an American who hasn't played baseball. It can be a sunny Saturday afternoon in Spring with the breeze blowing out and I can drive for miles sometimes without seeing a full diamond. On such a day, every man woman and child under 50 should be playing - or watching - a game.
      Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
      Bil McCurdy's research to produce that list of Browns' farm beams between 1945 and 1953 is impressive (Post #31, this thread). Keep in mind however, that the Browns were one of the poorer franchises of that time. While they might have averaged about 15 farm teams per year during that period, with a one-year peak of 20, many teams such as the Dodgers and Phillies had around or over 25 farm teams throughout most of that same period.
      That's a clear indication that there has been a decline of popularity of the game among today's youth and that a lot of talent that was once exclusively bound for careers in baseball has been funneled off to other sports.
      Today teams have four full season farm teams and two more short season ones in a typical organizational setup.

Comment

To sultan of swat 3:

"Before he was sent to Korea, he DID get to play on an Army team with Willie Mays! So he must've been in the Browns system around 50-51" -Sultan Of Swat 3.

It (his military service) must have been a little later. Mays didn't go into the army until Memorial Day Weekend (late May) of 1952. The war lasted until July 27, 1953, and Mays got an early release from his two year hitch to enable him to go to Spring Training, 1954. Your friend, Bill Brockett may have played on the same army baseball team as Mays before being sent to Korea and wounded there. Probably played ball in '52 and served in Korea '52 and 1953. The youngest Korean War Vets are now at least 74 years old (based on the draft age of 18 in 1952, the last complete year of the war.).
        -philliesfiend55-
        Last edited by philliesfiend55; 02-15-2008, 10:09 AM.

Comment

St. Louis Browns

I'm trying to find some information on my grandpa. I was told he played for a farmer league called the browns in St. Louis before being drafted for the war. His name is Norman Charles Mason. I have tried to find information on the internet myself, but haven't had any luck. So if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

The Bad News Bearers Strike Again!

Originally posted by armywife View Post
            I'm trying to find some information on my grandpa. I was told he played for a farmer league called the browns in St. Louis before being drafted for the war. His name is Norman Charles Mason. I have tried to find information on the internet myself, but haven't had any luck. So if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.
            Dear Armywife:

If your grandpa's full name was Norman Charles Mason, he did not play professional baseball on any level. Ever.

There was a pitcher named Charles G. Mason who played several seasons of minor league ball between 1938-1947, but his full name does not match the information you have supplied us here.

Sorry. This sort of bad news happens pretty often around here about grandpas and the legends of their own minds. We of the Browns Forum are beginning to feel too much like "The Bad News Bearers" when it comes to news like the information I am forced in the name of truth to bring to you today.
            "Our fans never booed us. - They wouldn't dare. - We outnumbered 'em." ... Browns Pitcher Ned Garver.

Comment

Hi--

Love the board! I too am looking for confirmation that my step-dad, Donald Deneen Farris, probably went by Don in the 1940s through 1950s, played in the Browns farm clubs. He was in Korea in the early '50s, but may have played as early as 1947/48. Born in 1930. Grew up near Joplin, MO. Said to have been related by marriage to Ken Boyer (my step-cousins were Greg and Jeff Boyer). May have played after he returned, so 1953-1957 (when my oldest step-brother was born). Spent some time in California, maybe into the 1960s (when my youngest step-brother was born).

Infielder, 2nd base. Said he'd been slid into by Mickey Mantle once, showed a scar on his leg. I seem to remember him mentioning Springfield, but I thought he'd claimed A league status. Went to Pittsburg State College, KS (now KSU Pittsburg), so may have played in the K-O-M League (which would have put him in the right place at the right time to be slid into by Mantle, though what The Commerce Comet was doing sliding with a bum leg I couldn't say ...).

My name's Buerkett, but I don't know that I'm related to Jesse. His "u" probably started out with an umlaut; my side of the family kept the German usage of an "e" in the writing of it. Any family history for Jesse Burkett?

Thanks. I won't be disappointed if this all turns out to be family fables. I don't know how I'll break it to my half sister, though!
              Last edited by HarryB923; 12-18-2009, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Don Farris clarification. Thanks to those who PM'd me!

From Bill Farris, his brother: Your Dad had a chance to sign with the old St. Louis Browns and would have been assigned to their Fargo, ND farm team. Grandma said Fargo was too far for him to go and therefore he didn't sign. He played semi-pro baseball with a team close to Joplin called the Alba Aces. They had a regular league and they traveled in southwest Missouri and into eastern Kansas. Their main competition was a team called the Baxter Springs Whiz Kids. Either the Aces or the Whiz Kids would win the League Crown every year. One of the Whiz Kids players was Mickey Mantle. Your Dad played second base and led the league in stolen bases every year he played. He batted leadoff and his batting average was always over .300. He played for the Aces for 3 or 4 years.

Thanks again! Another piece of the semi-pro puzzle filled in.

Comment

Thanks very much for sharing that information. To what degree the information regarding your father is fact or mythology none of us may ever know, but that's part of what makes baseball history so fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by tdworak View Post
                    Was wondering if anyone on this site had any information about the St. Louis Browns Farm Teams in the 40's. I am trying to piece together my Father's Baseball Career after WWII. According to my Mother (who does'nt remember much) and some Photographs she has, she said that my Father was in the St. Louis Browns Farm System in the Forties. She remembers him playing in New York (There is a Picture of his Team with the name "Glovers?) on their Uniform). She also remembers him playing and/or training in Pine Bluff Arkansas and Louisiana and other Places (need to go back to my Mom's House and study the photo's better). There is also a Photo of him (by himeself) with a St. Louis Cap and "Browns" across his Uniform. Looking for any Information on where the Browns Triple A, Double A, Single A and others played.

Thanks,
                    Tom
                    Here is a link to the history of the St. Louis Browns/Baltimore Orioles http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/balt.shtml My Uncle Kenneth Schaldach was signed to play with the Browns after he got out of the Navy but tragically died in a car accident in 1949.

Comment

Anyway you'd be able to find any info on my great grandfather? my dad didnt know much but his name was Martin L. Casarez. he was on the st louis browns farm club in the mid 1920's.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X