1923: Browns vs. Ddetroit Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1923: Browns vs. Ddetroit Stars

Has anyone ever read much about the post-season exhibition series between the Browns and the Negro League Detroit Stars? I found a passing reference to it in the Sporting News but no real info was available in the baseball bible.
    The Stars apparently won two of the three games. John Holway has some line score/box score info in his Complete Book of the Negro Leagues.

I was curious as to how the series came about, if anyone knows.

Originally posted by disgrig View Post
    Has anyone ever read much about the post-season exhibition series between the Browns and the Negro League Detroit Stars? I found a passing reference to it in the Sporting News but no real info was available in the baseball bible.
    The Stars apparently won two of the three games. John Holway has some line score/box score info in his Complete Book of the Negro Leagues.

I was curious as to how the series came about, if anyone knows.
    Don't know if this is of any help, but worth checking out.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZvP...sults#PPA19,M1

Comment

Leo D,
      That's a big help. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by disgrig View Post
        Leo D,
        That's a big help. Thanks.
        Glad to be of help.

Comment

a "gentleman's" agreement........
          Attached Files
          you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
          http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

I guess Oct. 1923 was a good time for inter-racial baseball contests. The St. Louis Stars hosted a three game series with a team of white major league all-stars. St. Louis won two out of the three games.

On Oct. 24, the Hilldale Club defeated the Philadelphia Athletics 3-1. I don't if there was more than one game between the Philadelphia teams or not. I found reference to only the one.

According to Richard Bak in his book, Turkey Stearnes and the Detroit Stars, Judge Landis did not approve of these post-season series between Negro League teams and white major leaguers playing as intact teams. After this the practice became that teams of white all-stars would take on Negro Leaguers.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X