Al Lamacchia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Lamacchia

Al Lamacchia passed away on Sept. 15 from a stroke.

Here's an obit from the LA Times: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep...cchia-20100916

LaMacchia was with the Browns in spring training of 1944 but obviously didn't make the club. He was not one of the three players recalled by St. Louis once Toledo's playoff season was over, however.

Comment

Sorry to hear it. LaMacchia was one of the greatest scouts the game has known.

Comment

Forgot to mention that Ellis Clary, who played on the '44 Browns, was a member of the Blue Jays organization at the same time as LaMacchia.

Comment

THE SPORTING NEWS 10/12/44

Al LaMacchia, Brownie-owned Toledo pitcher, who is a native St. Louisian, pitched batting practice for the Sewellmen and suffered the loss of the nail on his index finger through a collision with a line drive.

(This occurred before Game 3, October 6, 1944)

Comment

>>He was not one of the three players recalled by St. Louis once Toledo's playoff season was over, however.

I think that was because he was already on the team! Author Bill Borst has this to say:

I researched the entire 1944 season for my book, "The Best of Seasons" I read all the pertinent microfilm---I actually bought the whole year for the Sporting News. LaMacchia has four entries in my index, which clearly show that he was on the team until May 17th and then was sent to Toledo to play with babe Martin. Al was recalled in mid August but never appeared in an official game."

My speculation is he may have been sent back down before September 1 to make room for a different 25th player, perhaps one returning from military leave.

Earl Jones is another one who was on the team but didnt play.

Comment

THE SPORTING NEWS 8/22/44

The St. Louis Browns have recalled William Seinsoth, Alfred LaMacchia, Joseph Schultz and John Miller from Toledo of the American Association and Paul Dean from Little Rock of the Southern Association to keep the players out of the baseball draft, but they will not report immediately.

Regarding my previous post - I think in the IDing of LaMacchia as "Brownie-owned Toledo pitcher" (and my current post) indicates that he may not have been activated upon being "recalled" in August of '44 but based on some technicality of the time, was being protected by the Browns from being drafted off of their Toledo roster. He may have been put on an "extended or inactive" Browns roster but not on the official active roster. He most certainly was not on the Browns WS roster or he would not have been pitching batting practice prior to Game 3. Possibly, as a native of St. Louis & possibly as an inactive palyer, LaMacchia may have been utilized by the Browns in Sept & Oct '44 as their batting practice pitcher (among other things) for games at Sportsman's Park.

Comment

Whew! Complicated. And it smacks of the same sort of anti-labor collusion that was going on with the way the clubs handled waivers in the early days.

Lamacchia's starts at Toledo were not all that many fewer than the top two for that year, despite Al's clearly not starting the season with Toledo in '44 but rather with the Browns. So he might have been still pitching for Toledo after the 18th of August somehow. Thus, "not reporting immediately".

Was there such a thing as an "extended but inactive" roster? Did that mean it didn't count against your 25 but that the player could not play, majors or minors? Like an injured list?

BTW I talked to Lamacchia on the phone and his memory was foggy about '44. He even said at one point, "I think I pitched in '44! I must have!?". He had pitched in '43 and '45 so it's possible to have one's years confused (even though if it was any one of us on this Board, we would remember!.

p.s. Lamacchia addressed our Browns club 2 years ago and didnt talk too much about the '44 Browns, even though you'd think there would be loads of stories and memories even if you were just riding the pine. Likewise, Lasorda when he spoke to our club gave more of a stem-winder speech and barely talked about his month with the Browns in the spring of '53. Unfortunately, many of these players either don't understand or dont care that the fan relishes these seemingly minute details. They feel they have to give a classic "speech to entertain". Some day, like Lamacchia, all these guys will be gone and there will be no way to get the details first hand. So we should press them now, however, politely. Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                THE SPORTING NEWS 8/22/44

The St. Louis Browns have recalled William Seinsoth, Alfred LaMacchia, Joseph Schultz and John Miller from Toledo of the American Association and Paul Dean from Little Rock of the Southern Association to keep the players out of the baseball draft, but they will not report immediately.

Regarding my previous post - I think in the IDing of LaMacchia as "Brownie-owned Toledo pitcher" (and my current post) indicates that he may not have been activated upon being "recalled" in August of '44 but based on some technicality of the time, was being protected by the Browns from being drafted off of their Toledo roster. He may have been put on an "extended or inactive" Browns roster but not on the official active roster. He most certainly was not on the Browns WS roster or he would not have been pitching batting practice prior to Game 3. Possibly, as a native of St. Louis & possibly as an inactive palyer, LaMacchia may have been utilized by the Browns in Sept & Oct '44 as their batting practice pitcher (among other things) for games at Sportsman's Park.

Comment

Interesting that they went to such great lengths to protect Paul Dean, who was at the bitter end of his ill-fated career. Of course, a comeback from him would have been a big story.

2-0 vs. DET with a 1.00 ERA in the '34 world series!

Another oddity is that the Little Rock Travelers were a CHW farm team that played against the Browns' farm team in the Southern assn.: the Memphis Chickasaws in '44.

>Paul Dean from Little Rock of the Southern Association to keep the players out of the baseball draft, but they will not report immediately

Comment

Willis Hudlin was a part owner of that Little Rock team. And Hudlin the owner sold himself to the Browns in '44 (he appeared in only 1 game). So, I'm guessing he had a good relationship with Luke Sewell and hence the Dean move.

Also, I'd have to check my notes on LaMacchia, but I do not recall him ever being mentioned as a member of the Browns in 1944 (beyond spring training). I'm guessing it was merely a procedural move.

Comment

Found this item from the AP, dateline Sept. 6 (bold added): Recall of six pitchers, including Paul Dean, was announced Thursday by the St. Louis Browns. ... The other players were Weldon West, pitcher with Oakland, and the following from Toledo: Catcher Joe Schultz and Pitchers Earl Jones, Al Lamacchia, John Miller and Bill Seinsoth. West will report later this season; the others next spring.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X