• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Browns shortstop Bill Jennings passes away

William L. Jennings, asleep in Jesus, died Wed.,
    Oct. 20, 2010.
    Beloved husband for 60 years of Correne Jennings
    (nee Chambers); dear father of Nancy (Paul)
    Hutchinson, Peggy (Mike) Noonan and Janet
    (Wayne) Tucker; dear grandfather of Aaron,
    Stephen, Brian, Mark and the late Buddy; dear
    great-grandfather of 3; dear brother of Jerry
    (Marilyn) Jennings; special friend of Bob Pelc;
    dear uncle, cousin and friend to many.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...51cba7fc3fa407

Bill Jennings will be missed. He was a SABR member and friend to and supporter of the St Louis Browns' Fan Club.

Comment

This is very sad news, indeed. I now look back to SABR 2007 in St. Louis when I was privileged to meet Bill and discuss his days with the Browns. I also asked him about his time with the American Association pennant winning Minneapolis Millers of 1950 where he was the shortstop and had the best fielding average in the league, as did the Millers' third baseman, HOFer Ray Dandridge and second baseman Davey Williams. Quite an infield! Curiously, just this year a local Millers enthusiast in the Twin Cities showed me Bill Jennings Millers home jersey from 1950, which I was able to I.D. as Bill's from the numeral. Several 1950 Millers jerseys have turned up here locally, and I have owned a few, including the one worn by Willie Mays in the Spring of 1951.

Bill was a very gracious gentleman and generous with time in talking to one old fan, and I revere my memories of him.

Bob

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X