Cards/Browns Reenactment of 1944 Series---Twenty Years Later

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cards/Browns Reenactment of 1944 Series---Twenty Years Later

I am curious about this event in 1964, where players of both St. Louis teams were honored for their participation on the pennant-winning teams of 1944. I don't know the date, but I assume it must have been at Busch Stadium before a regular season Cardinal game, nor have I seen contemporary media accounts or photos. The memorabilia market has turned up uniform pieces made up for this "reenactment", as I've heard people describe the event. Rawlings made high quality jerseys, pants, caps, and socks for each of the participants on both teams, in sort of a "turn back the clock" fashion. Was there an old timer's game played? The Cardinals Museum had a couple of uniform examples in their display the last time I was there in 2007.

Id love to hear if someone can fill me in.

Bob

There is an article in the LA Times for Aug 10, 1964 that indicates the game was played in August.

Comment

LA Times August 10, 1964

browns cards reu&#110.pdf

The game must have been played the day before (Sunday, August 9th) the article was written.

Comment

Originally posted by disgrig View Post
        [ATTACH]94638[/ATTACH]

The game must have been played the day before (Sunday, August 9th) the article was written.
        Thank you very much for your info on the '44 Series Reunion. It is interesting that the Browns found eight pitchers for a two and a half inning game when only seven pitchers appeared for them in six games in the W.S. of 1944. This is the first time I've heard anything about it. Do you have access to the files of any St. Louis newspapers of the time concerning the honoring of these players?

Comment

The game was played before the Cardinals' 8-2 win over Houston on Aug. 9, 1964. Pepper Martin apparently played in the exhibition.

Comment

Thanks for the info on this, Dave.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X