X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Program (Scorebook) from the 1902 Season

1902 Cle at StL program.jpg

Comment

Very cool scorebook. Could we possibly get a peek inside?

Comment

Interesting. New York gains one from Baltimore (Yanks) then almost lost one (Dodgers).

Also, Babe Ruth probably doesnt couldnt sign with his hometown IL Orioles. But then who? He wouldnt have been ready for major leagues at his age. Probably would have signed with the Fed Lg Terrapins.

As a footnote, the Houston discussion was concerning the Cardinals moving not the Browns

Originally posted by RUKen View Post
        In the Brooklyn Dodgers forum I've posted a bunch of photos from their Washington Park days (1898-1912), and included excerpts that I quoted from Sporting Life that indicated that a few years after the Baltimore Orioles and Brooklyn Superbas had effectively merged, plans were afoot to move the Brooklyn team back to Baltimore. These plans were thwarted by Charlie Ebbets and another Brooklyn businessman who purchased controlling interest (between the two of them) from a Baltimore-based owner. (Manager/part-owner Ned Hanlon had led the effort to move the team south.)

Had Hanlon been able to purchase controlling interest in the team and move them south, then the Browns obviously would never have moved to Baltimore. I think it is unlikely that Walter O'Malley would have bought the NL Baltimore Orioles in the 1950s and moved them west. The least successful of the two St. Louis teams would have instead (in all probability) moved to California, or perhaps to Houston (which was in the discussion stages in the early '50s). If no other NL team had moved to California, then the Giants may have stayed in New York, or moved to Minneapolis. The expansion teams of the early 1960s might have all been on the West Coast!

Comment

Originally posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
          Very cool scorebook. Could we possibly get a peek inside?
          'Sorry, not from me. You'll have to bid on it at the Robert Edwards Auction that has just opened.

Comment

Here is a clearer image of the photo in post #30 of the 1902 Browns dressed formally:

1902 AL St. Louis 2.jpg

Comment

Spalding Guide composite of the 1902 St. Louis Browns

1902 AL St. Louis 2.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X