1908 St. Louis Browns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
    >>Pelty must have treasured the fancy Browns' jacket!

I'm surprised that the notoriously-stingy Golden Age owners let him keep it.

So the most important question is ... where are those sweaters today? I would hope that they would have been handed down in the families rather than being tossed out.

I would *love* to have one of those on loan to the Browns' Historical Society for display in our museum display.
    The players owned their uniforms--they would wear the previous year's uniform to spring training, even if they had been traded to another team. Perhaps they owned the sweaters also. I don't know how much, if anything, the owners charged them for the clothing.

Comment

Well, where are all these old uniforms? To the moths?? Ive never seen even one on eBay. Maybe the odd cap now and then....

Originally posted by RUKen View Post
      The players owned their uniforms--they would wear the previous year's uniform to spring training, even if they had been traded to another team. Perhaps they owned the sweaters also. I don't know how much, if anything, the owners charged them for the clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
        Well, where are all these old uniforms? To the moths?? Ive never seen even one on eBay. Maybe the odd cap now and then....
        I suspect that the players usually trashed them after they had received their new ones for the coming season. They probably didn't expect that their stained, torn, somewhat smelly old clothing would have great value to collectors some day.

Comment

Tom Jones, 1B, photo from 1908 or 1909

1908 Tom Jones.jpg

Comment

Left Fielder George Stone

George Stone 1908.jpg

Comment

Love these old pictures. Everyone in the stands is wearing a hat and a few of the men (no women in this shot at all) in the front row look like they couldn't be more bored.

Comment

Pitcher Rube Waddell, Supplement from the St. Louis Register (1909)
                The Browns' road uniform was the same in 1908 and 1909, so it is difficult to know when this photo was taken.

AL StL Waddell.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X