Bud Thomas and Hank Peters, former Browns figures, pass away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bud Thomas and Hank Peters, former Browns figures, pass away

Bud Thomas played for the Browns in 1951, hitting .350 in 20 at-bats. One of his hits was a home run. He also stole two bases.

Sedalia lost a Hall of Famer over the weekend with the passing of Bud Thomas. The Sedalia native, former Heber Hunt Elementary principal and former St. Louis Browns shortstop died Saturday. He was 86.

Inducted into the Smith-Cotton Athletics Hall of Fame in 2014, Thomas played American Legion baseball in Sedalia, earning an invitation to play in an American Legion All-Star game in New York for a team coached by Ty Cobb against a team coached by Babe Ruth. He was signed by the Browns organization and spent several years in the Browns minor league system before making his Major League debut Sept. 2, 1951.
    Read more:

http://sedaliademocrat.com/sports/26...owns-shortstop

_________

Hank Peters was a member of the Browns' scouting department. He died in January.

Not one to show emotion, Orioles general manager Hank Peters whooped it up one mid-October day in 1983. That afternoon, Baltimore clinched the World Series with a 5-0 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies. That evening, Peters learned that his first grandson, Christopher, had been born one hour after the game.

"When I finally reached my dad — and these were the days before cellphones — I said, 'Congratulations, you have a World Series baby,'" Steve Peters said. "I don't recall just what he said but, boy, was he happy that night."

Mr. Peters, architect of the last Orioles team to win a World Series, died Sunday morning of complications from a recent stroke at Hospice By The Sea in Boca Raton, Fla. Mr. Peters, who lived in Highland Beach, Fla., was 90.
    Read more:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...ry.html#page=1

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X