No announcement yet.

A Ken Williams book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave I ordered the book today through McFarland (I try to avoid giving Bezos any money). Tell me, if you know, why the Yankees purchased Ken Williams from the Red Sox in January 1930 even after his season-ending collision. The Yankees even only cut his salary $1500! What good sports!! But he never played a game in a Yankee uniform and somehow ended up on the Portland beavers for a little more than a season. Were the Yankees seriously thinking about putting Kenny in the outfield with Earl Combs and the Babe? That would have given the Yankees six out of eight starters in the Hall of Fame, with four Hall of Famers on the pitching staff. Wow!

The biography done by the Society for American Baseball Research is silent on the issue. But I bet you know!

Comment

Originally posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
      Dave I ordered the book today through McFarland (I try to avoid giving Bezos any money). Tell me, if you know, why the Yankees purchased Ken Williams from the Red Sox in January 1930 even after his season-ending collision. The Yankees even only cut his salary $1500! What good sports!! But he never played a game in a Yankee uniform and somehow ended up on the Portland beavers for a little more than a season. Were the Yankees seriously thinking about putting Kenny in the outfield with Earl Combs and the Babe? That would have given the Yankees six out of eight starters in the Hall of Fame, with four Hall of Famers on the pitching staff. Wow!

The biography done by the Society for American Baseball Research is silent on the issue. But I bet you know!
      You'll be glad to know that his time with the Yankees, albeit briefly, is covered in the book, so I won't spoil it for you. I am most proud of the research. I did a ton, including finding out about some time in the minors Williams had which has never been reported (at least since it occurred, that is).

Comment

FOX Sports Midwest ran this the other day, enlightening a new generation on both Ken Williams and the St. Louis Browns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiTfeAT3LyI

Comment

FYI Dave, I'm reading your book and am really enjoying it. Well worth the purchase - you have a mighty number of book and article citations in the back. Too bad Ken didn't tell his sons more about his baseball stories.
          R.I.P. Scott Sanderson (1956-2019)

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
            FYI Dave, I'm reading your book and am really enjoying it. Well worth the purchase - you have a mighty number of book and article citations in the back. Too bad Ken didn't tell his sons more about his baseball stories.
            Thank you very much, appreciate the note (and your purchase). I tried to do my best in leaving no stone unturned in terms of research (I'm sure I missed something, but not for lack of trying). His sons look back and wish the same. But that's just not the era they grew up in or the kind of parents they had. Ken didn't look back much.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_heller View Post

Thank you very much, appreciate the note (and your purchase). I tried to do my best in leaving no stone unturned in terms of research (I'm sure I missed something, but not for lack of trying). His sons look back and wish the same. But that's just not the era they grew up in or the kind of parents they had. Ken didn't look back much.
              I'll do a proper write up Dave, but great job on Ken Williams, worth every penny I paid.

Have you ever considered doing a biography on Goose Goslin? No one has ever done one for him, and you'd do a bang up job Dave.
              R.I.P. Scott Sanderson (1956-2019)

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

I'll do a proper write up Dave, but great job on Ken Williams, worth every penny I paid.

Have you ever considered doing a biography on Goose Goslin? No one has ever done one for him, and you'd do a bang up job Dave.
                Again, I really appreciate the kind words. I can't express how much it means to hear someone say they enjoyed something you wrote. Good thought on the Goose .. he did play for the Browns!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X