Expansion Senators Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion Senators Trivia

1. Name the five men who managed the expansion Senators.

2. Extra credit-the Senators expansion "tag-team partner", the Los Angeles/California Angels only had two managers from 1961-1971. Who were they?
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 07-09-2006, 01:22 PM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Senators: wasn't it 4 Aa3rt?
    Mickey Vernon 1961-1963 (partial)
    Gil Hodges 1963(partial)- 1967
    Jim Lemon 1968
    Ted Williams 1969-1971

Angels:
    Bill Rigney 1961-1969 (partial)
    Lefty Phillips 1969(partial)-1971

Comment

Who got the first hit in expansion Senators history?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
        Senators: wasn't it 4 Aa3rt?
        Nope, it was five.

HINT-his name is listed on the first page of the "Capitol Letters" game in the Washington Nationals forum-and he had a perfect record!

PS-you're batting 6 for 7 thus far!
        "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Eddie Yost! Tricky one Aa3rt!

Comment

Eddie Yost! Tricky one Aa3rt!
            Very good!

40 games into the 1963 season, with a 14-26 record, Mickey Vernon was fired. Eddie Yost was named interim manager, and the team went 0-1 under his guidance before Gil Hodges took over. The Senators would go 42-79 under Gil for a combined record of 56-106. While not as bad as the 1962 New York Mets (40-120), that 1963 team had to be one of the worst ever assembled.

0-1: Perfection!

Comment

"Coot" Veal

Who got the first hit in expansion Senators history?
              Orville Inman (Coot) Veal, shortstop for the 1961 Senators.

FUN FACTS:

Coot's 74th birthday was yesterday, July 9th.

Coot stole 1 base for the 61 Senators while being caught stealing 8 times, giving him a stolen base percentage for the year of .111. h

Career record here: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...php?p=vealco01

Comment

Boy,Orville sure had an undistinguished career but he was a major leaguer!

Who was the first expansion Senator to hit 3 homers in a game?

Comment

I would have to research that. But I wanted to throw this one out.
                  How did Senator owner Bob Short try unsuccessfully to return to Washington in 1978?
                  Last edited by soberdennis; 07-11-2006, 11:31 AM.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                  Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by soberdennis
                    How did Senator owner Bob Short try unsuccessfully to Washington in 1978?
                    Soberdennis-I believe you've left a word or two out of this question-try unsuccessfully to what?

Comment

How did Senator owner Bob Short try unsuccessfully to return to Washington in 1978?
                      I'm sorry. I did misprint the question without a couple of words. I edited the post and reprinted it above.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                      Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt
                        Orville Inman (Coot) Veal, shortstop for the 1961 Senators.

FUN FACTS:

Coot's 74th birthday was yesterday, July 9th.

Coot stole 1 base for the 61 Senators while being caught stealing 8 times, giving him a stolen base percentage for the year of .111. h

Career record here: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...php?p=vealco01
                        How ironic! It was probably that same year I had the same exact success rate stealing from Art Moyer's corner store.:grouchy :o

Comment

Does his son pitch for the Marriners? I assume that this was before you became a third baseman? (Wheeze!)

Originally posted by Yankwood
                          How ironic! It was probably that same year I had the same exact success rate stealing from Art Moyer's corner store.:grouchy :o

Comment

This is something I know nothing about. I can't believe he'd even try to come back in any baseball related capacity! This might be a trick question. A Senate seat? It was mentioned by another of us in the Baseball Bill post that he ran unsuccessfully in Minnesota(I think)

I'm sorry. I did misprint the question without a couple of words. I edited the post and reprinted it above.

Comment

Bob Short ran for election as a Minnesota Senator after absconding with the Washington Senators after the 1971 season.

He lost.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X