Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Senators minds think alike!

Originally posted by Aa3rt
    Bob Short ran for election as a Minnesota Senator after absconding with the Washington Senators after the 1971 season.

He lost.

Comment

That is correct. He ran for either Humphrey's or Mondale's seat, both were open. He lost. I always wondered how he would've been greeted in DC if he had won.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
      Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

I think he would have had to wear a Fake moustache and glasses,SD

Originally posted by soberdennis
        That is correct. He ran for either Humphrey's or Mondale's seat, both were open. He lost. I always wondered how he would've been greeted in DC if he had won.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGelnarFan
          Who was the first expansion Senator to hit 3 homers in a game?
          Don Leppert, who hit 3 of his 6 home runs in 1963 on April 11th in an 8-0 win over the Boston Red Sox. He only had a grand total of 9 homers in his two years (1963/64) with the Senators.

Career record here:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=leppedo02

Includes a reproduction of Don's 1963 Topps Washington Senators baseball card.

BTW-there was another player named Don Leppert who played 35 games at 2nd base for the 1955 Orioles.
          Last edited by Aa3rt; 07-12-2006, 06:39 PM.
          "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Next question...

Who hit the LAST grand-slam home run in Washington Senators history?
            "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Don Leppert is correct Art!

The last grand slam was hit by Don Mincher as a pinch hitter against the Yankees.

Here's a tough one(I think)
              The Senators turned 2 triple plays in 1968 and the same pitcher was on the mound in both instances. Who was he?

Don Leppert, who hit 3 of his 6 home runs in 1963 on April 11th in an 8-0 win over the Boston Red Sox. He only had a grand total of 9 homers in his two years (1963/64) with the Senators.

Career record here:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=leppedo02

Includes a reproduction of Don's 1963 Topps Washington Senators baseball card.

BTW-there was another player named Don Leppert who played 35 games at 2nd base for the 1955 Orioles.

Comment

The last grand slam was hit by Don Mincher as a pinch hitter against the Yankees.
                Correct again! The four run blast came in a 6-5 win on August 31st in New York.

Comment

Here's a tough one(I think)
                  The Senators turned 2 triple plays in 1968 and the same pitcher was on the mound in both instances. Who was he?
                  The pitcher was Bruce Howard, the second of the triple plays was an unassisted TP made by Ron Hansen. The Senators rewarded Ron by trading him to the Chicago White Sox four days later. Hansen had been traded FROM the White Sox to the Senators in the off season.

The hard part for me was remembering Bruce Howard. He's a player who spent time with both the Senators and Orioles. He went 1-4 with a 5.36 ERA in his one season with the Senators. He spent 1963-1967 with the Chicago White Sox and 1968 with the Orioles and Senators. He was assigned to the Buffalo Bisons on April 1, 1969.

Career record here:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=howarbr01
                  Last edited by Aa3rt; 07-13-2006, 06:08 PM.

Comment

What pitcher was the expansion Senators first 20 game winner?

19 game winner?

18 game winner?

17 game winner?

What pitcher holds the expansion Senator's record for most wins in a season?

Most losses in a season?

Comment

As the Senators, the expansion team never had a 20 game winner. So their first was Ferguson Jenkins in Texas in 1974.
                      The team record for losses belongs to former 30 game winner Denny McLain with 22 in their last year in Washington. He was the only Expansion Senator to lead the league in losses, 3 years after he had electrified the world with a 30 win season. How the mighty had fallen.

Holy Cow

Comment

The expansion Senators record for wins in a season is 16 by Dick Bosman in 1970. So the answer to the other questions is somebody in Texas.

Holy Cow

Comment

In fact the last Washington pitcher to win 20 was Bob Porterfield who won 22 in 1953 to lead the league.

Holy Cow

Comment

Bruce Howard is correct Art. You're good at this!

What Expansion pitcher hit the most career homers while playing for the Nats?

The pitcher was Bruce Howard, the second of the triple plays was an unassisted TP made by Ron Hansen. The Senators rewarded Ron by trading him to the Chicago White Sox four days later. Hansen had been traded FROM the White Sox to the Senators in the off season.

The hard part for me was remembering Bruce Howard. He's a player who spent time with both the Senators and Orioles. He went 1-4 with a 5.36 ERA in his one season with the Senators. He spent 1963-1967 with the Chicago White Sox and 1968 with the Orioles and Senators. He was assigned to the Buffalo Bisons on April 1, 1969.

Career record here:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=howarbr01
                            Last edited by JohnGelnarFan; 07-14-2006, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Bruce Howard is correct Art. You're good at this!

What Expansion pitcher hit the most career homers while playing for the Nats?

I recall Frank Bertaina hitting a three-run homer against Cleveland. Alvin Dark ripped out the phone to the bullpen.

Comment

Good Guess but Bennie Daniels hit 4 from 1961-65 to lead all expansion Nats pitchers. That was the only one Bertaina hit!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X